Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Garden Put off too long!

Options
  • 07-04-2006 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I think I can safley say I've never done a bit gardening in my life!

But I've put off doing something with the back garden for a long time and with the summer nights slowly coming in I thought I'd give it a go.

Basically the garden is overgrown and very unlevel, what I wanted to do was rip it all up and start from scratach,

what would be the easiest way to do this? a rotivator? anyone any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Hello there,

Great having light evenings, and getting out and about in the garden, or should I say 'wild meadow by the sound of description.

Firstly it would be better to take up all the existing grass and weeds. Depending on the size of the garden this could be done by hand, or hire some machinery if the the level of the ground permits. If you just renovated the who lot, and then levelled and put down you new seed, or turf, in no time at all you would have you old weeds, and no so lush grass poking through. Plus its nice, if your prepared to put in the time to start with a blank canvas to create your oasis.

Once you have all the old mud, muck, stones and what ever else you find whilst digging removed and skipped away (or removed by some one who will make sure its just not tipped on the road side. Hate those types.) Get some top soil in. There are plenty of adds around who will drop a load of to you for about 20-30 Euro. Then you need to get your rake out, and get levelling. Its quite a therapeutic job actually if you have the time.

Your now ready to design your garden. With the weekends work you've put in al already you'll be good to go.

Do you know if you're having flower pots, beds, deck etc.

The main thing to think about before you go mental and hit the garden centre is how much work do you want to put into it over the year, and what do you want out of it. If you're going to be having wild BBQ's every weekend, then I wouldn't suggest doing and Alan Titmarsh and bring a little part of power court gardens to your home. But if your looking to spend more time out there during the summer, and some time over the weekend, speak to your garden centre. They are more than happy to give advise, and tell you what goes well and where.

Should keep you going for a while.

Let us know how you get on..

Oh, and if you deside you want to get some one in to do the work for you, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Id start with a couple of goats:D

Advertisement