Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw & Lawnmower fuel mixup.

Options
  • 07-04-2006 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I was hoping someone could help me out with a problem.

My dad was filling the lawnmower with petrol the other day and by mistake poured the end of the chainsaw mix into the tank.He said it wasn't that much. I'm just wondering what the next course of action should be?

Is it a bad idea to top up the rest of the tank with petrol and hope for the best?
    Another idea was just to leave the fuel cap off and hope for some evaporation.

I don't know how I'd syphon it. Any advice is very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd think you'd be OK (*) just to top up with petrol. The amount of two-stroke oil in a typical chansaw mix is pretty low anyway, and if you dilute it with plenty of petrol that'll reduce further. You might get a bit of a blue smoky exhaust for a bit though, not unlike a car with a slight oil leakage.

(*) Terms and conditions apply, yada, yada, if your engine blows up I never said a thing etc. etc.

EDIT: I've chucked the dregs of old two-stroke mix into my petrol engined cars at the end of the season just as a convenient place to dispose of it. Petrol and two-stroke mix goes 'off' if stored for long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Not a problem. Assuming what you are saying is he put petrol mixed with two stoke oil in the lanmower then you've already done the right thing by diluting it with more petrol. Just run it as normal, it will smoke a bit (maybe a lot depending on how much oil is in the mix) but will not do any damage. The damage happens if you do the opposite and put raw petrol in your chainsaw.

I'm no expert but as far as I know you'll have no problem.

Edit. Same terms and conditions apply as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Cheers for the quick replies.

I'm off to test it now. T&C's understood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The spark plug might be grateful for a gentle clean afterwards ...or at least a looking at to see if it needs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

peasant wrote:
    The spark plug might be grateful for a gentle clean afterwards ...or at least a looking at to see if it needs one.

It's due for a service soon so I'll get it checked out.

Everything went ok. A bit chuggy and I was like a really crap Red Arrow for a few mins but I survived.

Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement