Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drive is BLUE

• 07-04-2006 1:52pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Built myself a media centre PC. I couldn't wait to format the 200 gig HDD. So i did it in two stages. First 20Gigs for the windows media centre. then 2 weeks later i formatted the other 180gig. Now when i go to My Computer the 180Gig D:\ text shows up blue. this also applies to all subfiles and folders
    Any idea what this means or what i did wrong. Doesn't seem to affect usingthe computer. but i am curious.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

You enabled file compression for that drive which causes it to display as blue text (default).

Reformat without ticking the Enable Compression box and it should be ok, but you will lose data by doing this.

There may be a way to disable it, but I've never used it so don't know how, offhand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

just go into the drive properties and uncheck compression and then check for drive + folders and files.

but why would you bother. at the worst it give a tiny slow down when accessing files.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Cheers, It's being like that for a while now. Eventually the curiousity got to me. Think i'l leave it be. Any disadvantages of using compression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

kikel wrote:
    Cheers, It's being like that for a while now. Eventually the curiousity got to me. Think i'l leave it be. Any disadvantages of using compression.

Tends to slow things down by quite a lot. If you have plenty of free space I would recommend uncompressing the drive ASAP.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

is green not compressed?
    thought blue was secure?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

No blue is defintly compressed, but never seen a green before and quite curious to what it is, but not entirely sure what to google (I have never been great at googling :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

yeah,
    turns out green is encrypted.
    only applies to foders tho.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Oh, I didn't know that, guess you learn something new everyday :)

Does anyone else sometimes get folders with nonsense names for them in the WINDOWS folder and they are always blue (even though I have compress old files turned off on my computer)??

I think they might be something to do with Automatic Updates, but I am not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I think they might be something to do with Automatic Updates, but I am not sure
    Correct. (The name corresponds to the patch / KB number)

Welcome to Windows (You don't really want empty space do you?)

Advertisement