Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Vodafone SIM, any benefit?

• 07-04-2006 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

I just got a phone upgrade from Vodafone, which I gave to somebody else because my own phone is perfectly good. However the new phone came with a new Vodafone SIM. The old sim works fine, but it is OLD. It says 'Eircell' when you switch on the phone!

The old SIM seems to do everything that I want. Make calls, allows a GPRS connection, roams within Europe OK (the last time I checked). I don't need a SIM with a big phonebook because my phone has tons of space for numbers. I've no interest in that Vodafone Live mullarkey. I just use GPRS to get a net connection if I am stuck.

So my question is, does anybody know if there's any benefit to be gained from activating the new SIM and dumping the old one. Would it get me a faster GPRS connection for example?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Sometimes a new phone will freeze or have network problems with old sims. It saves time doing it in store, rather than you coming back a few weeks later saying you're having problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

You get the ' Vodafone Services ' menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

There are some incompatabilities with Symbiam OSs, and some old sims won't be able to send texts. If your sim is working with no problems, there's no need to update, but unless you're holding onto it for sentimental reasons, I'd just upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

In the case of O2, you get an O2 Menu option (similarly for Vodafone, I see) and the time it takes after your phone registers to the network after switching on to being able to access (eg) messages on your phone should be faster with a newer SIM. My previous SIM card was a Digifone one and when I got a new SIM in December, it seemed to be speedier - but that could just be me!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Matches

Some of the older Sims can only hold somehting like 50 contacts where as the newer ones can hold up to 500 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

eircell sims don;t tend to arbritarilty "die" as some of the new HLR3 sims do. Stick with the older one - especially if you intend doing any sim cloning

Advertisement