Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

returning a phone

Options
  • 07-04-2006 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

bought a new pay as you go sagem myx 6-2 on meteor last week, after a few days the music player wouldnt work and kept crashing the phone momentarily.brought it back in your man said they had to send it off to repair it even though in the terms and conditions it said that any phone returned within 28 days from purchase with manufacturing faults can be replaced with a new phone.
    the lad said that they still had to send it off,so he did ,now im without my phone for a week.ive went through this ****e of sendin fones back before,had to return a fone 3 times for the same fault and the fourth time they just said they never received the phone from me(vodafone).
    does anyone have any advice to give here.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I think they have to establish first it is defective before giving you a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

if it says that in the terms and conditions then they have to give u a new one....double check this with consumer affairs, they are great and there is always someone to take ur call immediately....402 5555 (01 area), 1890 220 229 (outside 01 area). most of these phone shops will try and repair your phone a million times rather than give u a brand new one, when infact if its repaired twice and breaks again (ur case tho its still within the 28 days) they BY LAW have to replace it for you...but most people dont know their rights on these kind of things. I had war before with a tv that kept breaking, i printed stuff off the consumer rights web page and informed them they HAD to give me a refund if i wanted it, shoved the pages in his face, told him i was taking them to the small claims court and he couldnt have been nicer to me then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

T&C can saw whatever it wants.
    If you buy a product and it is faulty you can DEMAND a full cash refund, by law.
    That is disgraceful that the bastards didnt give you a replacement phone, they must have loads of old crappy demo ones they could have loaned you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yes, but if it wasn't apparent the phone was faulty, it has to be sent to an engineer to confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Pythia wrote:
    Yes, but if it wasn't apparent the phone was faulty, it has to be sent to an engineer to confirm it.

But they must do this within a reasonable time frame....
    I used to work at this type of thing, and we would say that would be 5 working days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Aid the Blade

i showed him the phone crashing right in front of his eyes, albeit it worked properly the first time i showed but there was no question about it.they offered me a replacement phone for a €70 deposit.i declined due to lack of money and have been more or less without a phone for the last few days.
    thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you should get a replacement within two weeks or longer if the shop specifies. they're only supposed to send it off after the two weeks.

in my opinion, which i formed from working in a phone shop, the repair company just throws the phones in a corner for three weeks and then sends them back. most people with phones for repair were back the second or third time. some were back for the 5th time because the repair company just kept saying there was nothing wrong with it.

my advice is to go back into the shop and ask to speak to the manager. explain that the phone was faulty when you got it and you returned it a week later. ask for a replacement but don't start going on about consumer rights. it only makes them less inclined to want to help you. just remember that under their terms and conditions you are entitled to a replacement. the shop assistant was wrong.

the chances are the phone will come back still faulty so try to avoid going down the repair road if at all possible

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Northside Punk

rubadub wrote:
    If you buy a product and it is faulty you can DEMAND a full cash refund, by law.

A lot of people think this, but it is only true if they cannot repair or replace it.

I know in most cases the branch manager cannot override it if its the company policy but if the salesperson saw the fault and it is within 28 days he should have replaced it long as it wasnt damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

A lot of people think this, but it is only true if they cannot repair or replace it.

As the saying goes, a little knowledge...!

Advertisement