Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builing storage space INTO plasterboard walls...

Options
  • 07-04-2006 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Im wondering if anyone here has done this. Im not entirely sure how deep things go behind the actual plasterboard but the idea has been rattling around my head for a while, particularly in relation to the bathroom.

I had a vision of removing some of the board and then making a framed shelf set back into the wall as far as it will go (without being in the next room)... I really like the visual effect of storage space set into walls etc...

So if anyone has done this and would like to share their thoughts that would be great!

Cheers...

Plasterboard Head

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭oneillk

i was thinking of doing the exact same thing in my bathroom. was also thinking of doin it for some feature shelving/storage in living room. ie, tall and narrow recess with lamp or art inserted.
    I reckon, find stud in wall then remove plasterboard to desired sized to the side of the stuf. Make up shelf box, insert into space a screw from side into stud. Cover joint between shelf and plaster with timber angle or plaster over edge and sand and paint.

i was also thinkin of adding some recessed spot lights into it. ie on the top or at the side. Could look very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Should be ok as long as there's no wiring or plumbing in there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Ive done it. I cut out the plasterboard ( limited to the width of the studs) then I tiled the inside with broken floortiles in a kind of mosaic style.

PICCY

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

good idea

might be funny(or not;) ) if someone accidently or otherwise manages to punch a hole in plasterboard from the other side.

might be an idea to reinforce the exterior plasterboard with some plywood on the inside bearing this in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Cant see that picture Mr. Rotten... But im glad to see that someone has done it. I think ill give it a shot, any chance of sorting that picture out?

Wall Head

• Advertisement

Head wrote:
    Cant see that picture Mr. Rotten... But im glad to see that someone has done it. I think ill give it a shot, any chance of sorting that picture out?

Wall Head

Sorted now!

BTW I have a 20 watt low voltage light in the top of the void which throws light doen into the space

PIC

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Head wrote:
    I had a vision of removing some of the board and then making a framed shelf set back into the wall as far as it will go (without being in the next room
    One tiny downside to this is removing the plasterboard from one side of the studding will increase the sound levels

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd also measure your studs first, might not be much point if its only like an inch or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

That's quite nice Johnny. Now I know what to do with all those bits of broken tile i've got!

That's quite nice Johnny. Now I know what to do with all those bits of broken tile i've got!

Thanks man;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Oh yes! Head likes that... Nice job jRotten, looks like a meditteranean lookin house ya got there with the swirly plaster on the walls and the colour scheme...

Now where did i put my Sledge...

Voltage Head

PS: Muffler, that was one drawback i thought of with the project, an inch or two wouldnt be much use but jRotten looks like hes got more than that and it looks well. I must get to checking out those studs...

Advertisement