Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dot-eu domain

Options
  • 07-04-2006 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

hey all

since the application for public is now opened today, wonder if anyone has got into buying dot-eu domains? Am still looking for a reliable registrar to go with, most of all the cheap ones. :D

another issue is that i'm not an eu citizen but been a resident since many years. not sure if my coming purchase will be a success. i'm thinking of domain for a portal, say a portal for visitors and immigrant. perhaps something like portal for alien from mars staying or holidaying in eu, i'm gonna setup a alienmars.eu. do you guys think this is possible on that basis? :rolleyes:

mart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

www.eurodns.com are good.

There are a few domains I could register, but... will anyone ever type .eu? I doubt it. How many people using .biz or .info etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

found another one registrar. well known actually.

dotster is offering a price 14.95 euro for a limited period.

have anyone got experience dealing with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Eurid are so incompetent that they should not have been given .eu gTLD to manage. The whois was off line and overloaded even though it was obvious to everyone that there would be a rush. The mickey mouse system they used basically fell apart today under the stress. A pile of squatters/PPC parasites were registering domains today. At the moment, the venom coming from hosters is almost palpable.

Squatters and PPC parasites outside the EU have been registering doms and I doubt that the morons in Eurid will do anything to stop this. Hell they even left a pile of squatter/PPC parasites in the US become .eu registrars in order to squat domains.

If you want credibiltiy go with .ie or .com - .eu looks to be another .biz or .info even though there are apparently one million .eu domains registered.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

€12.50 - http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51174855#post51174855

I'm sure they'll overcome the temporary crapiness...uh, issues.

TBH, politicians willy buy and use them because they're EU fanboi's, and companies will purchase them - but more for the sake of identity protection than any actual noticeable advantage. (And the usual handful of common/obvious domains shall be snapped by "entrepreneur"-ing twats.)

Karoma wrote:
    I'm sure they'll overcome the temporary crapiness...uh, issues.
    These were easily forseeable and easy to handle issues. The mickey mouse operation that Eurid was totally unable to cope. The result is that many people and companies will have lost out to squatters and PPC parasites. Arguably by allowing known PPC/squatter ops to become registrars for the sole purpose of squatting domains, Eurid should lose the contract to run .eu gTLD.
    TBH, politicians willy buy and use them because they're EU fanboi's, and companies will purchase them - but more for the sake of identity protection than any actual noticeable advantage. (And the usual handful of common/obvious domains shall be snapped by "entrepreneur"-ing twats.)
    I'd guess at least 40% of the domains registered were squatted/bad faith registrations. Some people are still having problems registering domains with backlog queues and other vagaries of the ****tard designed Eurid system.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Indubitably.

Any particular reason your fervent 'disliking' of EurID (Apart from the obvious incompetence)? Did you lose out, or anything?

Karoma wrote:
    Indubitably.

Any particular reason your fervent 'disliking' of EurID (Apart from the obvious incompetence)? Did you lose out, or anything?
    Actually I got the domains I went after in landrush within about 40 minutes from registration to activation (I had the doms on pre-reg with a few registrars but went and regged them manually). I dislike Eurid because they are incompetent and made a complete mess of the landrush.

But apart from that, Eurid also permitted a bunch of squatters and PPC parasite companies to become registrars in order to squat .eu domains. Most of these parasites are US companies who only squat domains and have no other business. As a result Eurid betrayed .eu gtld. The whois lookup that kept falling over, the banjaxed registration process - hardly a professional operation at all! I think the fervent dislike of Eurid will be shared by most hosters and a lot of people when they find that squatters and PPC parasites have regged the domains they wanted to register.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.euinternet.com/

Another source of domains ??

jmcc wrote:
    Actually I got the domains I went after in landrush within about 40 minutes from registration to activation (I had the doms on pre-reg with a few registrars but went and regged them manually). I dislike Eurid because they are incompetent and made a complete mess of the landrush.

But apart from that, Eurid also permitted a bunch of squatters and PPC parasite companies to become registrars in order to squat .eu domains. Most of these parasites are US companies who only squat domains and have no other business. As a result Eurid betrayed .eu gtld. The whois lookup that kept falling over, the banjaxed registration process - hardly a professional operation at all! I think the fervent dislike of Eurid will be shared by most hosters and a lot of people when they find that squatters and PPC parasites have regged the domains they wanted to register.
    Agreed. I was just curious. I personally couldn't get worked up over it. "It's only .eu" (I expect to hear the phrase more often...)
    Thanks.

Karoma wrote:
    Agreed. I was just curious. I personally couldn't get worked up over it. "It's only .eu" (I expect to hear the phrase more often...)
    Thanks.
    No problems. It is just that I've seen these maggots destroy .info and .biz gTLDs so that these gTLDS are now wastegrounds. The way the morons in EUrid handled things, they have faciliated these squatters by allowing them to become registrars. It is even worse than IEDR in the bad old days. My view of things is somewhat different because I compile the stats on all domains in com/net/org/biz/info/ie and have a bit of a gods eye view of the industry.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

dingding wrote:
    http://www.euinternet.com/

Another source of domains ??
    Yep I got a .eu domain by prebooking it with them.

Just looking at the latest .eu figures for domains registered in Ireland:
    IE 16,266.

Just to put it in perspective, the number of .eu domains registered to Irish registrants on Friday was approximately 23% of the total of .ie domains registered.

I'm not sure how this is going to balance out. The number of squatted domains in .eu is high so it could turn into just a larger version of .info and .biz if Eurid do not take action.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

jmcc - I think the ADR court is going to be kept very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I'm just wondering is their any better help with the new .eu's?
    What I mean is, if someone's bought a domain for say www.sony.eu
    is it going to be easier for them to get it back or will their be another
    waterford crystal payoff?

EDIT: btw when are .eu's going to be up and running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

.eu is up and running - you can register them in lots of places and many are resolving ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

wuhooo... my .eu is now up and running... on a US hosting.... bought it from euinternet.com :D

Advertisement