Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is bad dialup, good dsl possible?

• 07-04-2006 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭

Just wondering, is it in theory possible to have a bad dialup line, i.e high packet loss, and connections at 28-40k but then have a good dsl connection, i.e. no packet loss at all, good pings (not too worried about bandwidth).
    Has anyone experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It isn't impossible.

Some modems are rubbish. Sometimes there is a problem on your internal wiring, sometimes a dodgy fuse at exchange. Some non-HW internal modems (win modems) can lose data if PC is busy. (Internal non-HW Win Modems are rubbish).

Noise on line picked up could be in voice range (affect modem) but not at DSL frequencies.
    You basically either get DSl or not. If they give it to you it will generally work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

fisab wrote:
    Just wondering, is it in theory possible to have a bad dialup line, i.e high packet loss, and connections at 28-40k but then have a good dsl connection, i.e. no packet loss at all, good pings (not too worried about bandwidth).

If you pass eircom's ADSL line test, you're fine as a general rule.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

fisab wrote:

does you line pass the bb test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

the frequencies dsl uses are different from the ones voice and modems use but if your line makes weird sounds whlie talking on the phone that could be an indication of a more series problem on the line somewhere. The only way to know for sure is to ring up and order it and find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Thanks for all the input guys.
    No I fail the eircom bb test and the new smart test but Smart have gone ahead and connected me - I just havent received my modem yet so I cant test the dsl.
    I'm just crossing my fingers that the noise problems I'm having (inaudible by the way) are in the voice range only - time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i used to get anywhere from 28kb-38kb dial up, occasionally less than that and very very rarely, bang on 40.0kb, never higher than that...i didn't know anything about packet loss back then so i couldn't say if i was experiencing any.

now, i get 2.7mb on a 3mb line with no packetloss and very good pings. with digiweb dsl for the record, about 1.5KM from the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Before I got DSL I had a crap dialup 26-28kbps. DSL operates ona range of frequencies hence it has no dependence on the dialup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Again thanks for the encouraging input guys.

Advertisement