Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Austin/Hogan didn't happen

• 07-04-2006 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

According to PWtorch.com, it's down to Austin:
    Reports indicate that Steve Austin was a bit upset at the 2006 Hall of Fame ceremony when Hulk Hogan made the choice to push a possible match between the two before his induction of Mean Gene Okerlund. Austin felt that was not the time or the place to push a big money match as he felt the night belonged to the inductees.

Austin's line about finding a can of "whoop ass" with Hulk Hogan's name on it was not scripted and no one knew Austin was going to say it. The old saying of whoever has the mic last no doubt came into play with this situation as Austin informed people after the show that he planned on saying a few more one-liners at Hogan, but held back when he knew he had the crowd on his side.

Neither Hogan nor Austin had any sort of interaction at the Hall of Fame. Austin has stated on more than one occasion to friends that if it didn’t happen this year, it wouldn’t happen at all. Austin has made it clear that he has zero intentions of ever wrestling Hulk Hogan.

Previously, Austin was offered a huge seven figure payoff to wrestle Hogan at Wrestlemania, but turned it down. Hogan had reportedly already agreed to the offer and that it was up to Austin to make it happen. Based on what is known, Austin is at peace with never wrestling again and has stated that if he ever comes back for one last match, it would never be against Hulk Hogan as he doesn't want to share a payday with him and get involved in the politics. So if we are to ever see Hulk Hogan vs. Steve Austin in a WWE ring, it will be up to Austin and if that is the case, many feel it isn't highly likely to happen.

A shame as I'd personally really like to see them get it on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

no, no, no, old saggy tits is where he belongs, retired, i'd never want to see austins legacy destroyed by having to do the job for the hulkster, and hulksters non stop attempts to force austin into doing it by springing it in public are pathetic to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

Agreed. I never want to see Hogan back again, especially against Austin, who can still offer alot to the product. Hogan really should have called it a day after his match with the Rock. The whole Mr. America thing was cringe worthy, to say the least. Last year at Wrestlemaina against Hussan was just a patriotic notion and really wasted a good amount of time at an otherwise good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 CaptainCharisma

He had a decent match with Shawn Michaels, but then again HBK could carry anyone to a good match. Hogan then had the audacity to say that he was the one that did all the work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

This "Match" should never, ever happen, Hogans becoming more and more of an ass the older he gets and the longer he spends away from the ring. He needs to just let it go, stick to his crappy reality series and maybe do one or two more inductions into the hall of fame down the road.
    As for Austin, I've so much respect for this guy, despite the payout he could get, he's refusing to tolerate, let alone take part in this sham.
    I'd be sick to my stomach if Hogan was ever put over Austin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

He had a decent match with Shawn Michaels

That was just a comedy match. I couldn't believe what Shawn was doing out there. His selling just made you realise how bad Hogan is in the ring, if you hadn't already

I hope Hogan doesn't come back. I don't ever want to see another Hogan match ever again. Austin's won a lot of my respect for refusing at least $1000000 for one match. He knows the business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Well if they ever do have the match and they still might, I demand the finish be Hogan Hulks up, Austin counters it by kicking him in the groin and stunnering him. Hogan would never let that happen but I'd get a kick out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I've no interest in seeing a hogan match at all, wasn't a big fan of wwe when he was wrestling, AUstin was king when I started watching it.

I think I'd prefer to see an Austin Rock match again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Well if they ever do have the match and they still might, I demand the finish be Hogan Hulks up, Austin counters it by kicking him in the groin and stunnering him. Hogan would never let that happen but I'd get a kick out of it.
    if that was the finish we'd all finance the purse ourselves, unfortunatley....... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

Thats awesome!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ The only difference I would make to that ending would be for Austin to flip Hogan off first, then Stunner.

I agree with the thrust of this thread - I never ever want to see Hogan in the ring again. He is a washed up has been who hasnt been entertaining since 1998. His last good match was against The Rock, and that was only becuase of what the crowd made it. Ever since then he has been a joke - Mr America? Please. The only person, besides himself, who Hogan ever put over was Brock. He has held so many people back, it amazes me so many people still admire him. Sure he did great things for the business in the 80's, but thats a long time ago now.

Hogan having another match would be like Pele saying he deserves a start in the Brazil world cup team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

couldn't agree more, if Hogan ever fights again I won't want to see him. He's just the paris hilton of the wrestling world. Thank god the Austin - Hogan match didnt go ahead. If it did you can imagine, punch, punch, leg drop, stunner. That's it tbh. No wrestling at all. I know hogan and rock had a "good" match but as was said already, the crowd made it.

Skud wrote:
    s He's just the paris hilton of the wrestling world. .
    I think that a little unfair.
    Don't forget theyn have 60000 tickets to sell in Detroit for WM22. I would n't rule out that match just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ff101

exactly no1 shifts tickets like hogan or austin no matter what any1 thinks of either of them.

to say hogan never puts anyone over, anybody at the top of the business is like that
    ie- Austin didntput Jeff Jarret over. or Scott Hall at wm18
    - Austin wouldnt put HHH over at Summerslam 99
    -HHH wouldn't put Booker T over at wm19, and would never put Y2J over
    - Undi---- enough said!

Hogan tapped out cleanly and connvincingly to Angle at KoTR a few years ago
    and lost cleanly to bill goldberg in front of 48,000 people in 1998 in one of the highest rated Nitro's ever.

Sure he selfish but who at the top apart from Mck Foley is not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

ff101 wrote:
    Sure he selfish but who at the top apart from Mck Foley is not

Flair aint selfish either - he's made so many wrestlers by putting them over and has still remained strong despite doing so. Agreed, Foley is very unselfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Don't forget theyn have 60000 tickets to sell in Detroit for WM22. I would n't rule out that match just yet.

I could be wrong but the main event at Mania could be Xpac Vs Cena and im pretty sure it would still sell-out.
    Major bottomline here is that unless the match is Austin squashing Hogan and knocking him on his ass when he Hulks Up then very little people will want to see it.

But i dont think that will happen seeing as its Hogan (most likely fuelled by his ego) who seems to be doing all the running and mouthing off to try and make it happen &he's obviously not doin it all with the intention of going out and getting his ass whupped 3:16 style!!

They have n't sold out a few times at Mania. At 8, with Savage V Flair , Hogan V Sid and Bret V Piper the Hoosier dome was nowhere near sold out. Although I take your point, wrestlemania is a strong enough brand which should sell enough tickets. Still with stadium shows theres always that risk.

I think its one of the last "dream matches" they can book and I think it would have some appeal to the general fan. Certainly the 2 of them are really good on the mic and they could build interest in it, even if the match did n't deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

TOPDAWG,

Watch the Hall of Fame ceremony to see how many people want to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If people say they want to see it then they have absolutely no right to complain about crap wrestlers that WWE churn out again and again, Hogan in his prime was no more than an average wrestler, he should be down on his knees thanking HBK for putting him over last year because it fuelled his huge ego for a bit longer afterwards. Got every respect for Hogan and the impact his character has had on sports entertainment, but as for wrestling well just leave it be Hulk, retire.......maybe make Mr.Nanny 2..........do everything you can to get your daughter a recording contract but as for wrestling in a ring i, for one, do not want to see you again.

Did anybody else love the way that Austin moved on quickly when he mentioned that whole whoop ass comment, for a second Hogan's eyes lit up, then Austin started the next sentences straight away.Great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Corholio wrote:
    If people say they want to see it then they have absolutely no right to complain about crap wrestlers that WWE churn out again and again, Hogan in his prime was no more than an average wrestler, he should be down on his knees thanking HBK for putting him over last year because it fuelled his huge ego for a bit longer afterwards.

Yeah thank goodness HBK never had an ego and that he always put people over. Remember when he put Bret over at WM13 as gratitude for Bret putting him over the year before? Top man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I can't say I liked the way Shawn acted years ago, but at least he can wrestle

• Advertisement

Slightly off the point but may add to the Shawn bashing. I read a review of the Tanny Sytch/Sunny shoot dvd and it turns out her "Sunny days" were not with Bret after all. They were with Shawn. She has some stories to tell that girl.

Hogan has held down guys for years. He's the ultimate wrestling politician it seems.

But he's a huge reason why many people started watching wrestling and if you ask the average person on the street whats the first word that comes into your head when you think of wrestling. Alot of people will say Hulk Hogan.

Again I'm not a Hogan apologist but you have to give the guy his due.

Advertisement