Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The contradictory devil saying.

• 07-04-2006 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

I heard this saying the other day:
    "How can you fail if you have the devil on your side"
    I was thinking about it and it is a contradictory expression or even a paradoxical problem. I believe that if you have a "devil" working with you ( someone like a very eveil person not the actual devil) you are by in fact failing from the word go but succeding in tasks that you want fulfilled which can only be fulfilled by his/her help. Just would be curious on your philosophical thoughts towards it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

There could be two ways of looking at it. The first is that it is just sarcasm.

The more philosophical way would be to think of it as a damning verdict on the nature of the world and what it takes to be a success.

It reminds me of having a Faustian pact, you may very well succeed in terms of monetary value by using machivellian tactics but it will cost you your soul. It is an interesting phrase because it is the most ruthless people who usually "succeed" by standing on others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement