Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

command line help please

• 07-04-2006 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭

I am trying to change the -read only- attribute on a file called "Sony Ericsson."I want to delete the file after removing the attribute.The file is in program files on the c drive.I get a message that the parameters are wrong.I am new to this and am obviously missing something.I would be grateful if someone could post up the exact command.What key or combination do you use for minus?
    Thanks.:confused:
    ps using xp home ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

DOS doesn't support long file names so type dir followed bt enetr/return

Identify the file from the list displayed , the name will be something like sonyer~1.dat

Then try attrib sonyer~1.dat +rw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

seanogal wrote:
    I am trying to change the -read only- attribute on a file called "Sony Ericsson."I want to delete the file after removing the attribute.The file is in program files on the c drive.I get a message that the parameters are wrong.I am new to this and am obviously missing something.I would be grateful if someone could post up the exact command.What key or combination do you use for minus?
    Thanks.:confused:

The command is:

attrib

C:\>attrib /?
    Displays or changes file attributes.

ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A ] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [drive:][path][filename]
    [/S [/D]]

+ Sets an attribute.
    - Clears an attribute.
    R Read-only file attribute.
    A Archive file attribute.
    S System file attribute.
    H Hidden file attribute.
    [drive:][path][filename]
    Specifies a file or files for attrib to process.
    /S Processes matching files in the current folder
    and all subfolders.
    /D Processes folders as well.

C:\>attrib -R {filename.ext}

:p

Hagar wrote:
    DOS doesn't support long file names so type dir followed bt enetr/return

Identify the file from the list displayed , the name wilL be something like sonyer~1.dat

Then try attrib sonyer~1.dat +rw

True DOS doesn't support it but WinXP version will, try it.

I stand corrected. I was thinking of standard DOS 6.22 (if there is such a thing as standard)

:rolleyes: Ahhh those were the days.... The version in XP is a version of ProDOS 7 I think.

• Advertisement

I remember DR-DOS when he was only a medical student :D

* Digital Research

OK you got me there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭seanogal

The command is:

attrib

C:\>attrib /?
    Displays or changes file attributes.

ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A ] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [drive:][path][filename]
    [/S [/D]]

+ Sets an attribute.
    - Clears an attribute.
    R Read-only file attribute.
    A Archive file attribute.
    S System file attribute.
    H Hidden file attribute.
    [drive:][path][filename]
    Specifies a file or files for attrib to process.
    /S Processes matching files in the current folder
    and all subfolders.
    /D Processes folders as well.

C:\>attrib -R {filename.ext}

:p
    Thanks for replies.Tried the above but got same message about parameters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Browse to the directory of the file in windows explorer. Once in the directory, right click on the file and click on properties. Under General you should get an option which displays the attributes of the file (i.e. Read Only or Hidden). Untick the Read Only tab. You should be able to delete it then.

Hobart wrote:
    Browse to the directory of the file in windows explorer. Once in the directory, right click on the file and click on properties. Under General you should get an option which displays the attributes of the file (i.e. Read Only or Hidden). Untick the Read Only tab. You should be able to delete it then.
    Went to my computer-c drive-program files-sony ericsson,alternate click-properties and unticked read only.I presume this is what you said.When you go back to it,the read only box is ticked.It seems to untick it but doesnt change the setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

seanogal: What is the core issue? Is it that the file cannot be deleted?

If so, chances are that the file is in use.
    Quick way: Boot into Safe Mode (Tap F8 repeatedly on boot), navigate to file, delete (Using explorer.exe).
    Alternatively: Start -> run -> msconfig --> services (tick hide MS services) & startup items - identify the SE software and untick -> this prevents from it starting automatically when Windows boots. Then reboot and delete the file.

If it is just 'DOS' syntax: Just use the first 4/5 char's (Unique) and use wildcard *...
    attrib -R file*.ext

Karoma wrote:
    seanogal: What is the core issue? Is it that the file cannot be deleted?

If so, chances are that the file is in use.
    Quick way: Boot into Safe Mode (Tap F8 repeatedly on boot), navigate to file, delete (Using explorer.exe).
    Alternatively: Start -> run -> msconfig --> services (tick hide MS services) & startup items - identify the SE software and untick -> this prevents from it starting automatically when Windows boots. Then reboot and delete the file.

If it is just 'DOS' syntax: Just use the first 4/5 char's (Unique) and use wildcard *...
    attrib -R file*.ext
    File cannot be deleted while it has the read only attribute.

attrib -R ..., in safe mode + del ...and it still won't let you?

Will try safe mode now.Thanks.

Went into safe mode and deleted sony ericsson from program files.Emptied recycle bin also.Did a search and nothing was found.Yet when I go into control panel,add and remove programmes,sony ericsson is still listed in the programmes.When I click on remove,it goes so far and then the system stops and goes no further.Cntrl-alt del brings up, "add and remove programmes is not responding.Now I really cant figure out whats going on.

seanogal wrote:
    Went into safe mode and deleted sony ericsson from program files.Emptied recycle bin also.Did a search and nothing was found.Yet when I go into control panel,add and remove programmes,sony ericsson is still listed in the programmes.When I click on remove,it goes so far and then the system stops and goes no further.Cntrl-alt del brings up, "add and remove programmes is not responding.Now I really cant figure out whats going on.
    There may (And in this case,are...) be entries in the Windows Registry relating to the removed software.
    You could go through the Registry and remove them. You could get software to automate the process for you.
    However, I recommend just ignoring it. As long as it's not loading when Windows does, and not taking up much space on the HDD - it's not really a problem. [If you insist on editing the Registry, make a backup of the Registry / Creat a System Restore point or Ghost your machinr prior to editing as a precaution.]

In future, use the accompanying uninstall method (.exe). If you encounter problems removing specific components (As they may be in use), then try removing the software whilst in Safe Mode.

Thanks for your assistance Karoma.

Advertisement