Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installation errors...

Options
  • 07-04-2006 9:29pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

The installer was unable to read the file "<unknown>". This error may be caused by problems with the media or drive at --for example, a scratched or dirty CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, hard drive corruption, or a networking problem while downloading the installer. (The data being read was "Repack-MPQ\Data#interface.MPQ\Interface\WorldMap\Azeroth\Azeroth1.blp", and the error code was 38.) If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (MPQFile::Read)

brand new disks and shouldnt b a problem with my cd drive on my laptop. has run the game before ok. any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Did ya try copying the whole CD (contents) into a folder on the HD, and running it from there (if it'll complete the copy)?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

copying over CD4 and got
    Cannot copy instsaller Tome 4: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sounds like a broken (or v. dirty) disc to me.

right dont seem to be the disc. just tried a second copy of the game and froze on the same file with the same error when trying to rip it....im at my wits end :( ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

CRC errors usually point to CD damage, CD corruption (e.g. a bad burn) or damage to the CD drive itself. I've seen CRC errors appear when CD drives overheat.

At best see if you can get an external drive from someone and load it on that way. You can also check then to see if it is your CD drive that's buggered and kill two birds with one stone.

At a push, you could have Anti-virus or anti-spyware software screwing with it, but I'd doubt that.

• Advertisement

i managed to rip the required file onto the desktop of an old 98se machine i had so im gonna drop round to a friends today and get him to rip the file and transfer it over on an mp3 or something and see if it works...really hope it does....

btw any recommendations on a nice server to start on?

Advertisement