Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle Royale

Options
  • 07-04-2006 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

The comic books that is. Theyre so good. Ive never been so impressed by something as this in ages. Its amazing. The characterization, the themes, the plot, its just all incredibly good. You know its especially good when you start rooting for the characters and identifying with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

It was the first manga series I started following so I have a certain kind of fondness for it but it gets ridiculously drawn out in later volumes, so much so that if you've seen the movie or read the book you really won't want to bother finishing the manga by the time you get 7/8 volumes in.

Other than that though, the artwork is pretty nice; the action scenes in particular, but the character's faces are hilariously weird looking, like something out early-period JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Another thing that sticks in my mind is the weird side story at the end of volume 3 (I think) which gave us a fairly explicit look into Mitsuko's sordid past. That was...unexpected, but not entirely unwelcome. :o

Also (Sorry if I'm rambling), this series is unbearably cheesy. How many goddamn times do we have to see Shuuya mouthing off about how great Bruce Springsteen is? On a similar note, the English adaptation of this title is pretty annoying. Extensive Americanisation, a few completely inexplicable changes which actually changed plot points* and...more Americanisation. Normally this wouldn't bother me so much but it is very noticable here.

"To do this right, you've got to keep the basic flavor of the original work - this is a guy who wrote the original novel who's doing this, so you can't go in and completely rework it and change it around, but you've got to filter it for American audiences," Giffen said. "You've got to massage it a little bit and see if you can move it just to a place where an American audience will appreciate it.

"Being able to go in there and while keeping the tone, tweaking it a little bit, I'm able to put my voice in. Rather than making it 'mine' though I'm doing a lovely two-part harmony with Takami. It's not my story, so I try to remain true to the spirit of the work. Sometimes that means dropping a colloquialism or adding blocks of copy that will allow the American audience to understand it the same way a Japanese audience would. The key rule that I always keep in mind though is: don't violate the story, don't violate the work." (From http://www.newsarama.com/Battle_Royale.htm)

:rolleyes: Good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

The movie was on Sci-fi the other night. ^^ Second time seeing it, pwnage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jenmcgregor

The movie is excellent. The one thing that keeps me coming back is the soundtrack; it's amazing. I saw it on amazon yesterday and I'm sorely tempted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

I just started them today-I got the first two in Easons. They're doing a buy one get one free deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

Raziel wrote:
    I just started them today-I got the first two in Easons. They're doing a buy one get one free deal.

its fustrating as hell though that they only go up to 9 in easons, 11 so far in forbidden planet. just finished 11 and its concluded on such a cliffhanger that I have to get the 12th book, but none of the shops sell it! nnnnnnnnngaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

They have the first two books in Chapters for 7.99 each.

Advertisement