Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BitTorrent Download speed..?

Options
  • 07-04-2006 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have had varied d/l speeds while using BT over the past few months.. a few times I have gotten over 100Kbps on a file and now I am downloading a file and have failed to ever reach over 50Kbps.. is the speed of my download dependent on:
    the seeder I am d/l ing from? I was connected to 9 once and got 7kbps
    the tracker and my share ratio
    It is really bugging me..

Also, is there any really comprehensive guides on bittorrent floating around?

Thanks,
    Hakko

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Bittorrent is incredibly irregular. Its ingenius and very useful, but its not very consistent. The number one mistake people make is to not limit their upload speed. Set your upload limit to about 75% of its potential, otherwise the connection will get clogged and it doesn't matter how fast your download speed is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

Could you tell me what client you use ?

Other factors (including the 75% mentioned above) are max number of connections per torrent also and seeding has a lesser but still affects things.

If you don't seed what you get tracker can and will black list you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

it's azureus.. I used never u/l what I got but now I am doing it lately and speed d/l speed has gone down.. Has anyone ever used h33t.com as a tracker? and also thepiratebay.?
    Has anyone got any info about the basic eircom BB package like u/l and d/l speed and cap on u/l and d/l also what happens if you goover etc??

Thanks

Right it is good you are using Azureus, I will point you to these pages and they will sort you out.

I use the config wizard and then check against these settings.

Worth reading, select to view the average swarm speed

I have used the piratebay (prq) trackers they are fine.

Has anyone got any info about the basic eircom BB package like u/l and d/l speed and cap on u/l and d/l also what happens if you goover etc??

Thanks

Eircom upgraded their billing systems (a thread about this), haven't heard of anyone getting billed yet though. Since last month I have been curbing my usage on my 30gig cap, just in case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement