Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Hobbs ...genius ? Hmmm

Options
  • 07-04-2006 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Folks, are you telling me that the average person is so fkn stupid that they cant work out basic income versus expenditure to the point that Eddie comes along and tells them to only go out 1 night a week on the lash instead of 2 and to stop smoking 400 cigarettes a week and they think hes a genius ! Its hardly rocket science people ! If you have income of €400 a week thats you cut your cloth accordingly, why do you need this dude to sort you out? Really irritates me !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I hear what you are saying

but

the problem is if someone has 400 cash thats not the full stroy, they have access to anoher 1500 from their credit card, and its tempting, but overall I think some people just want to be told what to do, like in college, remember how some lecturers were useless but you somehow felt you needed to go just to be told what you already knew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Eddie Hobbs for Tea-Shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Never under estimate the stupidity of the masses.
    People in general do stupid things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Sizzler wrote:
    Folks, are you telling me that the average person is so fkn stupid that they cant work out basic income versus expenditure ...

YES

Did you not know that stupidity is a virtue in most of Ireland?

In my experience Irish people are great talkers but very bad listeners.
    A lot of Irish people really do need to put their hand in the fire themselvess rather than listen to the advice of somebody else telling them they'll get burned. Many are so stupid they practically need to sit in the fire before they learn.

Also add to the fact that most people in Ireland have not had good jobs or plenty of money until about 9 years ago. I remember applying for a credit card circa 1997 and getting a snooty letter back from the bank asking me for a letter from my employer confirming my salary and my status. It was extremely difficult getting loans - in fact even a tiny overdraft of 100 was extremely tough to get for me. Now people are having credit pushed in their face, and credit limits of as much as twice - and more - times their monthly net salary. The guy on 400 a week might easily have a credit card with a limit of as much as 3k - and sometimes more. Its difficult to cut back when the cost of living is escalating at such a rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

shoegirl wrote:
    YES

Did you not know that stupidity is a virtue in most of Ireland?

In my experience Irish people are great talkers but very bad listeners.
    A lot of Irish people really do need to put their hand in the fire themselvess rather than listen to the advice of somebody else telling them they'll get burned. Many are so stupid they practically need to sit in the fire before they learn.

Also add to the fact that most people in Ireland have not had good jobs or plenty of money until about 9 years ago. I remember applying for a credit card circa 1997 and getting a snooty letter back from the bank asking me for a letter from my employer confirming my salary and my status. It was extremely difficult getting loans - in fact even a tiny overdraft of 100 was extremely tough to get for me. Now people are having credit pushed in their face, and credit limits of as much as twice - and more - times their monthly net salary. The guy on 400 a week might easily have a credit card with a limit of as much as 3k - and sometimes more. Its difficult to cut back when the cost of living is escalating at such a rate.

Stupidity is a virtue? If that was the case we wouldnt have the intelligence to even mention it here :-)

I think its just so baaaad that average punters need a so called expert like Hobbs to kick them into touch, its so basic its not funny. Its not as if they are getting him to help them solve a quantum physics problem !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Squaddy

Genius yea rite! ... I agree with vector bou "people want to be told what to do".

Its just like that guy that was on Sky one about losing weight, its obvious if you stop eating when your full you wont put on weight, and Eddie hobbs: if you dont spend money on goods you dont need youll save money,

You dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Dont forget, it wasn't the first series of Show Me The Money that made Hobbs the household name, it was that quiet TV weeks before the Rose of Tralee last summer that he stole the show.

Rip-off Republic.

After that, super stardom. But I don't begrudge him that. It was there for the taking, and TV shows like SMTM have been done in the UK before. There are lot of people saddled with the trappings of the Celtic Tiger, so it makes sense to have a finance programme like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

Well if it makes you feel any better I don't think this is an Irish thing (unless you really want to take credit for it - excuse the pun).

I'm not from Ireland and may therefore have more experience of such matters outside this country and I definitely think it's a worldwide phenomenon.

I believe that it's not that people are stupid, we only do things when the pressure is really on (e.g debt mounting up). Having someone looking over our shoulder spurs us on to sort things out, especially with the added pressure of it being on TV!

My personal belief is that we are not taught how to deal with money. All we get from a young age is "money is evil", "money doesn't grow on trees", "look after the pennies etc." BUT no one (and this includes schools) actually TEACHES us how to work with money. Most people have the common sense to work with it relatively well but a lot don't.

Maybe it's time to start teaching people at a younger age and NOT when they've dug a hole for themselves already.

The Banks wouldn't be too happy though!!

Advertisement