Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training Videos

• 07-04-2006 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I've been boxing on and off for the last few months, but because of limited time I do most of my training outside the club (heavy bag bench press, pull-up bar at home, and road work when I can etc)

Anyway, I came accross this site a while back, it has a few training videos of training you can do at home.

There are exercises here I've used and things like 'shotputting the dumbell' or 'power ovens' I haven't seen before. Could anyone have a look through these and tell me what the best exercises are to use? Thanks in advance.

http://www.warriorforce.com/thehomegym.wmv
    http://www.warriorforce.com/lowtechhigheffect.wmv

The site's has loads of sample vids for heavy bag drills nd articles aswell.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Can anyone explain the exercises in the vids - "shotputting the dumbell", "power ovens" ?

Is there a need for them or will the standard press-ups and the like be better ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Well those videos wont work for me. What is it your trying to achieve? Are you trying to be the best boxer you can? Are you looking to build mass? build strength? build stamina and endurance or just improve general fitness

Well, I'm on my way to building mass (started weights about 2months ago) and strength is okay (for my weight division anyway: 154lb)

What I really need to get better at is footwork and stamina. I've been doing fairly basic roadwork for the last while, and am getting there ... slowly

Basically the vids give a couple of workouts to do at home, but doesn't say what muscle groups they build or give any other info ... maybe someone could explain them to me.

Oh yeah: if those vids don't work in your browser open up Windows MediaPlayer and goto 'open url'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ross Enamait

ThatGuy - The video clips are from my website. They are not intended to serve as "stand alone" workout programs. The videos just give readers of my site some ideas to spice up their own training routines.

The videos are also not specific to boxing. I work with athletes from several backgrounds.

As for the d-bell shotput, it is just one way to overcome deceleration (you are able to explode all the way through the exercise, rather than slowing yourself down at the end of a lift).

Another example can be seen with the medicine ball throw from this article:

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym25.htm

Let me know if this is unclear.

Ross Enamait

Ok, wasn't expecting answer from you personally.

I know they aren't to be used as stand alone workouts - but I'm mixing up my own routine at the minute and am looking for a few new exercises (getting bored with the standard stuff).
    I get what you're saying about them not applying only to boxing aswell - they might help my other sports.

Thanks for explaining the d-bell shotput - makes sense.

What I wanted to know is what muscle groups are worked with the wheels exercise (first one on 2nd video) and how long should you do it for?

Good work with the site, it's been helpful so far ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ross Enamait

The standing wheel rollout is primarily a core exercise. When you switch to one-arm at a time, you will also need a good deal of upper body strength (ex. shoulders and back).

Start from the knees when working with the wheel. Standing rollouts are more difficult than you may think. If you rush to perform the standing variation, you will put stress on the low-back. You will need a strong low-back to perform the standing variation.

Ross

Advertisement