Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

These New Penalty Points

• 08-04-2006 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭

Ok, we all are aware the new points system came into effect as of monday last but has anyone actually read them ?
    I understand the reasons for them but how will it affect us ?
    For instance , you can now be done for crossing the white line, who amongst us has not filtered in this fashion ?
    does this mean a vigilante copper will now slap a couple of points on our liscence because we filter ?
    I have to say I am confused if not a little worried.
    What does this say for the future of biking if we are restricted in such a way ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Shouldn't think it'll be a huge issue. How does it work in the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Horatio wrote:
    What does this say for the future of biking if we are restricted in such a way ?

Being honest, it really doesn't make that much of a difference if you wait for a short while and not filter on the wrong side of a continuous white line.

In such cases, there is generally going to be plenty of room on the inside because the muppet cars all want to see around the car in front.

Also, I think that there will be a lot of discretion applied because a bike does not take up much space on the road and I think the rule will be enforced more when there is "dangerous overtaking" going on (ie, when there is oncoming traffic).

In such cases, most bikers have safely pulled into the traffic anyway so wont be "caught".

I also think that with these rules there is a better case for using the bus lane. Again though, I would advocate caution, and discretion - ie not going the full 80kmph down it with cars all blocked in the normal lanes.

L.

Advertisement