Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2002 Mondeo Diesel...

Options
  • 08-04-2006 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi,

I'm going to look at a 2002 Mondeo Diesel Zetec model (not sure whether it's tdci or tddi) with 55k on the clock.

Is there anything I should look out for? It's from a garage with 3 months warranty. Does the timing belt need changed, or is it a chain?

I plan to hold on to it for about 3 years - are the mondeos reliable and hassle free to run?

Thanks,
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

seanmc wrote:
    Hi,

I'm going to look at a 2002 Mondeo Diesel Zetec model (not sure whether it's tdci or tddi) with 55k on the clock.

Is there anything I should look out for? It's from a garage with 3 months warranty. Does the timing belt need changed, or is it a chain?

I plan to hold on to it for about 3 years - are the mondeos reliable and hassle free to run?

Thanks,
    Sean

A 2002 car should have at least a 6 month warranty with it from a garage. 3 months is too little especially considering it is a 4 year old diesel with only 55k miles on the clock. I would be pushing for at least 6 - 12 months warranty with that car.

The Mondeo diesel engine in the Zetec model is the 2.0 TDCi engine which has 115bhp. Alot nicer, quieter, more powerful and ecomonical than the 100bhp TDDi engine found in the Mondeo LX.

The Zetec TDCi is built by Peugeot/Citroen and is found in their cars also. It is very reliable, I have heard no nightmare stories. Not sure if it is chain or belt driven. If it is belt driven at 55k miles it probably hasn't been changed. It is due to be changed at around 60k miles so try and haggle to have it changed in the purchase price as it can cost anything up to €500 or more depending on who you bring it to.

The Mondeo itself is pretty bomb proof and the Zetec model is very well equipped.

If the garage are not budging on the warranty or timing belt then I would walk away unless you are getting it very cheap indeed. There are plenty of these cars out there so you will find another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

2000 MONDEO(new shape) onwards are all chain driven (petrols & diesels) so no worrys there.
    Best of luck with it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    Alot nicer, quieter, more powerful and ecomonical than the 100bhp TDDi engine found in the Mondeo LX.

90bhp I think! Definately too little for a car of its size.
    bazz26 wrote:
    The Zetec TDCi is built by Peugeot/Citroen and is found in their cars also. It is very reliable,

It is an entirely different engine to the 2.0HDi, and the 2.0 TDCi in the C-Max. It is built in Dagenham as far as I know. Having said that it is supposed to be reliable, but a few early ones suffered from injector and diesel pump failures. Ford and PSA also seem to have had ongoing battles with EGR valves, but it seems to have been solved.

Fantastic car really, and definately a brillian s/h buy, but make sure the price is right.

//EDIT

Actualy a 2002 car might be a TDDI with 115bhp even if it is a zetec. Not sure when then TDCI came on the market but it was around the end of 01, start of 02 I think.

Advertisement