Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2nd hand tyres

Options
  • 08-04-2006 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    My 91 Fiesta needs new tyres, I don't really want to splash out on a brand new set if a 2nd hand set will do. Is there anywhere I could get a decent 2nd hand set with good thread dept fitted cheaply in the Dublin/Wicklow region does anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Unless you get really lucky and find someone taking off new (or very nearly so) tyres for some reason, I'd advise you to go and get new tyres. Or at the very least, good quality remoulds.

Try your local tyre fitter outfits, they may have something suitable in used tyres, but really, tyres aren't usually taken off a car unless they're pretty much worn out or damaged. A tyre fitter probably won't fit used tyres for you or give any kind of guarantee with them, anyhow.

Tyres are a vital part of your and every other road user's safety, so by all means buy cheap, but don't skimp on quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭richardson2525

i've got 4 pretty much new 175/70/R13 tyres lying around if your interested. They could be yours for a handsome sum! PM me if your interested. They came off a Honda Civic so it's up to you to check if they suit your size requirements -they come with free steel rims!
    P.S. I'm in south Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cool, I'm in Bray, could you check the size of the tyres and let me know please? Is there any damage to them?

EDIT: Oh wait, I', guessing 175/70/R13 is the size? :o

Yep!! no they seem pretty decent

Edit: 155/70/R13 = 547mm diameter (I'm guessing this is your size?)
    175/70/R13 = 575mm diameter
    5.12% Difference in Diameter

cool, I'll have a look and let you know within an hour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they're the wrong size, too wide for the rim, and too big diameter.

How can you tell they are the wrong size without me checking my tyres:confused: That's not being cheeky by the way even though it may sound it, I don't know much about tyres so would like to know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cormie wrote:
    Hi,
    My 91 Fiesta needs new tyres, I don't really want to splash out on a brand new set if a 2nd hand set will do. Is there anywhere I could get a decent 2nd hand set with good thread dept fitted cheaply in the Dublin/Wicklow region does anyone know?

No offence but don't be mean when it comes to tyres for your car. They are the difference between keeping you on the road and the wrong side of a ditch or even worse. New tyres for a Fiesta are not that expensive, you don't have to buy a premium brand to get good tyres.

Second hand tyres are hit and miss and I would not touch remoulds. Remoulds might have perfect threads but the tyre walls could be weak or in bad shape which could lead to a blow out at high speed. Alot of places don't even deal in them anymore due to safety issues.

To be honest if I couldn't afford decent tyres for my car then I would start thinking maybe I cannot afford to run a car.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:

To be honest if I couldn't afford decent tyres for my car then I would start thinking maybe I cannot afford to run a car.

Harsh, but definately fair.

A cheap set of new tyres for a fiesta should not come to any more €150. I don't think it is worth the risk to go messing with remoulds or s/h tyres for the amout of money you can save.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

maidhc wrote:
    Harsh, but definately fair.

A cheap set of new tyres for a fiesta should not come to any more €150. I don't think it is worth the risk to go messing with remoulds or s/h tyres for the amout of money you can save.

Wasn't entended to be harsh or offensive to the OP. :o Just my thinking if I was in the same position.

cormie wrote:
    How can you tell they are the wrong size without me checking my tyres:confused: That's not being cheeky by the way even though it may sound it, I don't know much about tyres so would like to know:)

Yep!! no they seem pretty decent

Edit: 155/70/R13 = 547mm diameter (I'm guessing this is your size?)
    175/70/R13 = 575mm diameter
    5.12% Difference in Diameter

????

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

New tyres, no question. Surely you can afford 2? Get the other 2 then ASAP.
    Better value in long run to be sorted with new ones. No expert on tyres, but fiestas probably take small tyres, which should be reasonable. Don't go for total cheapies, buy something you've heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Buy them from a scrapyard already on fiesta rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Id agree, i think u could kill yourself on bad tires. the compounds on remoulds arent the same as name brand tires. my preference for grip is michelin. they have saved my life on several occasions. i have driven bridgestone on a toyota yaris and they are a disaster surprisingly. the car loses the back end very easy. id go conti or michelin, get 2 tires at a time matched on an axle for stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think any tyre sold in the EU now must comply with various safety ratings, so any random brand is probably as safe as the rest.

random brand will reach minimum safety requirements, but with tyres, you get what you pay for. I once put a set of remoulds on my car, and the difference in braking and handling compared to the Pirellis I normally buy was amazing. also they were a false economy because they wore out far quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

pirelli are also a excellent tire. i reakon its michelin>contintental>pirelli

there seems to be also some good other premium brands like uniroyal.
    prices seem to bear out the above, i have noticed u get at least 30% more life from a michelin energy than any thing else ive tried. terrific grip in the wet also as well as fuel savings.

dodgy tires are a false economy.

Michelin Energys don't give that much grip though, had them from factory on my Punto, and they were crap. Pirelli P6000 (?) don't last as long, but are grippier.

Advertisement