Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnosurgery Live (Mon 10th April 21:00-More4)

Options
  • 08-04-2006 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Hypnosurgery Live
    Channel: more4 165
    Date: Monday 10th April 2006
    Time: 21:00 to 23:05
    Duration: 2 hours and 5 minutes.

A serious investigation into the possibility of using hypnosis to reduce or even replace the use of anaesthetic in surgery. Presented by Sarah Smith, this two hour special asks whether hypnosis should be more widely available to people unsuited to, too weak for, or afraid of conventional anaesthetics.

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from www.getdigiguide.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 torinoblue

Is there going to be an actual serious procedure done on TV, or is the title misleading?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

My Brother performed research in this area a number of years ago. They started with minor operations such as removal of varicose veins using hypnosis and no anesthetic. Eventually they performed some major operations which would normally require a General Anesthetic. Pretty interesting alternative for people who have bad reactions to them. I don't know anything about this programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

It's a hernia op, routinely performed with a local or spinal anaesthetic.

I can't believe it's real - I mean neither C4 nor the surgeon would be prepared to risk even 0.01 % chance that the patient would scream in pain on a live TV show, so both C4 and the surgeon must be convinced before hand that the patient will indeed feel no pain.

I'd be amazed if a surgeon cuts a patient on live TV without anaesthetic, but then we'll see ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

pH wrote:
    so both C4 and the surgeon must be convinced before hand that the patient will indeed feel no pain.
    That can easily be handled with hypnotism.

That can easily be handled with hypnotism.
    A form of playacting(hypnosis) can handle that (pain reduction during surgery) - wow!

I guess you are an expert on pain reduction using hypnosis and have conducted clinical studies, or perhaps you got all your information from a Paul McKenna TV show?

• Advertisement

I was just joking that they could hypnotise the surgeon and C4 into thinking it was safe.

I was just joking that they could hypnotise the surgeon and C4 into thinking it was safe.
    :)
    Now that I get it - that's very funny ...

In fact they could just hypnotise the surgeon into thinking he was peforming the operation and the patient into believing he was being operated on ... such is the mighty 1337 power of hypnosis.

pH wrote:
    :)
    Now that I get it - that's very funny ...

In fact they could just hypnotise the surgeon into thinking he was peforming the operation and the patient into believing he was being operated on ... such is the mighty 1337 power of hypnosis.
    Why stop there..? do the whole TV audience too.

I'll give it a look anyway.

Why stop there..? do the whole TV audience too.

I'll give it a look anyway.
    Who knows what we might think we see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 daraghos

Hi all,

Interesting to hear your views on hypnosis.
    This thread seems unusually quiet today.;)
    Did you watch the show and what did you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gnasher

No, I missed it. What happened?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

...didn't see it either; no C4-more... A summary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I don't have More4 but I see it's repeated on Saturday, Apr 15, 9pm on More4.

Advertisement