Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heaviest hail i've ever seen

Options
  • 08-04-2006 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Wow. ANyone else see it? (hard to miss)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

not the heaviest i've every seen but pretty bad, at the rovers match last night it was pelting down and it was of a fairly large size to

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

That was pretty damn heavy alright!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I walked out of Peter Marks with my lovely new hair do and it started :(

Son of a B*tch :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I got caught in it on my bike. It was feckin painful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

And now it's a beautiful day again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

And now it's a beautiful day again!

This is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

April Showers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

xzanti wrote:

Oh god. Hate that.

That really annoys me. Always bring an umbrella, even if its sunny out when getting your hair done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i was out in it in tshirt and flip flops, feckin terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

There was hail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

homah_7ft wrote:
    There was hail?

Correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The heaviest hail I ever saw was in "The Day After Tomorrow". It was just big chunks of ice. Who they kiddin'? It has to be spherical:

http://www.chaseday.com/hailstones.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

homah_7ft wrote:
    There was hail?
    This is another thread deserving of the Dublin forum, it would seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

I was in it. When it started, everybody on Grafton street scattered in to the shops for safety. About 50 people stood in hmv and watched it. Poor buskers.
    It was worse because i had to run and catch a bus and I was in a skirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

xzanti wrote:

/me giggles...

i hate when that happens...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This is another thread deserving of the Dublin forum, it would seem.
    Nah, It fell on Wexford too. More fun than drizzly rain at least:o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i thought my window was gonna crack at one point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Last night was even worse at about 9 or so:) Hail is very common this time of year....not to worry though it will sart getting warmer from next week;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

I was in tower records and the music was so loud I didn't hear it! I came out and there were people having hail fights in the street, and it was about 2cm thick on the streets! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Interestingly a covering of snow is possible in Northern and Western parts tonight.:)

Some freakish falls of large hail today thoguh at Dublin Airport earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

That wasn't big at all. Fist-sized is big, will make you run for cover. It did make me run :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

A load of hail fell down in Limerick ~18:00 as well.....pretty heavy as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yesterday afternoon, we had lying hail after a ferocious hail shower that lasted a good 20 minutes. Immediately afterwards, I found a wee drift that was 3 inches deep. The ground was its whitest since November. It's a strange winter when the most wintry days are in November, followed by April.

Btw the hail size was not spectacular, it was the sheer quantity of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I played a footie match yesterday out in Tallaght in it and ouch it did hurt,made the rest of the players run a bit more though-lol:D

Left the pitch white as if it snowed hard but soon melted and good god it was cold.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

:eek: that was a fair fall!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Nice pics closest you'll get to lying snow in the city center!

Nice pics closest you'll get to lying snow in the city center!
    january 1982 wc, the army were clearing snow off the pavements in Dublin city centre.
    News pictures showed it piled several feet high outside the GPO and down o'connell st.
    I also recall that the TV crew drove down the N11 and wents a few miles inland hoping to make it to Roundwood but only got as far as where the road was totally blocked.The road beyond that point had disappeared as the snow was above the ditches.
    The diggers clearing the snow had given up.The reporter was standing beside the drift blocking the road( A drift that went as far as the eye could see along where the road should have been ) and it was well up over his head.
    I remember it like yesterday.That report would have been after monday a couple of days after the snow had stopped as we had no electricity here untill then.

I see no reason why there couldnt be a repeat.In fact if the synoptics we've had for the last 8 weeks were to happen in jan or feb, that would do it at least once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Very true Earthman,if it were only Jan or Feb it would be very interesting,like me when i was young Jan 82 was brilliant. Were i lived(my parents still do) at Donaghmede shopping centre there is a 3.5 foot wall around the centre,well you could walk up the drift and down the other side not knowing there was a wall there, simply amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Anyone know where I cana find some pictures of the 82 snow?.. surely they had cameras back then?

Advertisement