Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Vodafone robbing me??

• 08-04-2006 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I bought my phone this time last week. It's a Nokia N70, Vodafone Ready To Go, and it cost €399. I bought this particular one because it has all the features i want in a phone. I bought it, like many other young people, primarily for texting. I have alot of friends in the UK who i text regulary.

This is my problem; i am conssistently charged for international texts (25c each!) which do not deliver. After seeing the messages dont deliver, i did a test where i texted from my new nokia on vodafone, and my mothers motorola on meteor; the vodafone text did not deliver (but i still got charged), however the text sent from the meteor phone did deliver.

I will stress i have this phone ONE WEEK and this has happened on SEVERAL occasions. It is unacceptable that i have paid €399 for a phone which does not now fulfil its purpose, and secondly to be charged for a message which does not reach its destination.

Where do i stand with rights and that? I am out of pocket for the cost of the phone and the credit which i have wasted on messages which have not delivered!

Vodafone have my money, but i dont have the service!

I emailed them 72hours ago, with no reply thus far.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

I'll add, that when i got my phone, there was already a voicemail greeting saved on the 'new' number???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Wasting your time emailing, give them a call and have it out with them. If you just want a phone for texting, why not just buy a nokia 3310 or something, works fine for texting and you can buy them for next to nothing.

Ruu wrote:
    Wasting your time emailing, give them a call and have it out with them. If you just want a phone for texting, why not just buy a nokia 3310 or something, works fine for texting and you can buy them for next to nothing.

I'd use the MP3 player/Camera and i like the Symbian Menu's and that...I was on hold for ages last time i called...gave up after a while. Ill stick with it now though cos its wreckin my head now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

say you don't want to be charged for the texts. they can do that. there's obviously some technical issue going on. sounds more like the network than the phone to me since it can receive texts. get them to sort it out but don't get annoyed or start going on about your rights. they're just doing a job and will help you if they can. they don't give a monkeys about your rights. shouting at them will only make them less inclined to help you

say you don't want to be charged for the texts. they can do that. there's obviously some technical issue going on. sounds more like the network than the phone to me since it can receive texts. get them to sort it out but don't get annoyed or start going on about your rights. they're just doing a job and will help you if they can. they don't give a monkeys about your rights

It's been happening intermittenly through the week though, i dont want to keep havin problems. Its annoyin more then anything. I work customer service myself in a big company, im not the kind to get angry...just want me texts to go bleedin thru!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Do not give up with them, they are useless on the phone and persistance is the key. At the moment ive had enough of vodafone. My phone works on and off when it feels like it......sorry i mean my number, not my actual phone, even after 3 sim changes it's still doing it. This has been going out for about 3 or 4 months. This is vodafone's last chance. If it's not sorted this week, or if they won't let me cancel my contract without costing me a fortune, then im going to consumer affairs and stopping the direct debit from my account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Use vodafone webtexts, if you have them. That way it costs you nothing.

However you will only know the text arrived when you get a reply, as there is no delivery reports with webtexts

jrey1981 wrote:
    Use vodafone webtexts, if you have them. That way it costs you nothing.

However you will only know the text arrived when you get a reply, as there is no delivery reports with webtexts

cant send them to uk tho...which is where my problem is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I had the same problem with Meteor but they refunded me all the money from the texts that failed.

Did you try your sim in another phone? It sounds like a network problem though.

orla wrote:
    I had the same problem with Meteor but they refunded me all the money from the texts that failed.

Did you try your sim in another phone? It sounds like a network problem though.

Yeah, a 6230...same prob.

Bastids!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Getting excited about it isnt going to help. As others have said its probably the network interlinks.

See if you can find out what UK networks your mates are on. If its only the single network in the UK thats not working then its almost definately a network issue, and at least 50% possible its not even VF's fault.

And phone them dont email them, if you phone them they should sort it out within a day or so.

Oh and btw if you do a lot of UK txting then Meteor is a far better bet at 15c for an international txt.

i dont think its issues between the networks, as it works sometimes, and not othertimes.

They're mostly on o2, but i have probs with t-mobile and voda uk too.

Meteor dont do the N70 tho..

Its only 460 on sim free from expansys, being on meteor would have soon saved you the extra 60 quid.

rang up, and not only was i fed a load of ****e such as 'dont use contry code' but they also said they wouldnt refund the credit!!

Going up for a refund for the phone, then take squirrels idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

I had kinda same problem... i went into the shop and i think it was to do with the 3G network, What they done was into the network settings on the phone and changed the band setting from automatic to 900/1800 and my phone now works fine for texting... it could also be a problem with the sim card, your best bet is to go into the shop and let them sort it for you!!

aido, i've already tried that - no luck.

It seems to be a voda irl problem, because my sister and dad also cant get int. msgs delivered.

I bought the fone in CPW, and they just gave me the number to ComReg, who will be getting a call in the morning!!

Jammer wrote:
    I bought the fone in CPW, and they just gave me the number to ComReg

Afiak its up to them to do more than that if you push it. Its the retailer that sold you the phone who is liable if you are not satisfied with it.

I think you have got a good arguement under consumer law that the phone is not fit for the purpose you bought it for.

Try demanding a refund and see where it gets you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980...

can find it here:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/front.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had the same problem years ago texting a Meteor phone. They NEVER delivered but I still got charged. I eventually rang up and the guy said that you get charged as soon as the message is sent, regardless or whether or not it delivers. There was nothing I could do about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Afiak its up to them to do more than that if you push it. Its the retailer that sold you the phone who is liable if you are not satisfied with it.

I think you have got a good arguement under consumer law that the phone is not fit for the purpose you bought it for.

Try demanding a refund and see where it gets you.

But other phones he's tried have the problem. So it's a network problem, not a phone problem.
    You won't get a refund for a problem like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

Jammer wrote:
    I'll add, that when i got my phone, there was already a voicemail greeting saved on the 'new' number???
    this seems to be a "7 day return" in thecarphonewarehouse that you bought,they shouldnt have sold it to you this way either,so i would demand an explanation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just ring Vodafone and tell them what is happening.. If you do not get satisfactory help then demand to speak to someone in charge.. No customer care is perfect but Vodafone's is far from the worst. I know this from first hand experience having had to call them as a customer and worked there while I was at college.. If you are not not getting sufficient help it is the exception and not the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

this seems to be a "7 day return" in thecarphonewarehouse that you bought,they shouldnt have sold it to you this way either,so i would demand an explanation

Yeah I got a phone once from CPW and the first one they gave me (it was sealed and everything so they obviously took it back and resealed it) had pictures on it, stuff in the inbox and all kinds of crap :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

HavoK wrote:
    Yeah I got a phone once from CPW and the first one they gave me (it was sealed and everything so they obviously took it back and resealed it) had pictures on it, stuff in the inbox and all kinds of crap :rolleyes:

Incriminating stuff? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

HavoK wrote:

that wouldn't have been the people in the shop. at least one network sends out returned phones without deleting stuff of them

Advertisement