Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Help!

• 08-04-2006 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Maybe somebody has posted this before – but I looked back about 10 pages and couldn’t find it.

I ordered Eircom Broadband (the 29.99 one) a few weeks ago. I noticed when ordering it that it was Wi-Fi based (I am crap on how all this works)

So my PC is not Wi-Fi enabled and given that the info on the Eircom site is quite useless I took the precaution of ordering a USB adapter also just incase I was missing something when the stuff arrived.

So a packaged arrived a bout two weeks later with all the gear minus the USB adapter. Has this happened to anyone else (do they send them separately/later?) and do I really need it? Will my PC just not connect to the wi/fi modem router with the purple or yellow cable (yes I am crap at this)?

All help greatly appreciated. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Use the yellow cable to plug your pc into the router and it should work, the purple cable (smaller plugs ) is to plug router into phone socket ( you'll probably have to setup username/ip addresses etc ,should be in the manual tho)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

Purple one is for your phoneline. Yellow one is for your ethernet port (a port that may or may not exist on the back of your PC).
    If you can find a port that the yellow cable connects to, then use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

DOD Crew wrote:
    Has this happened to anyone else (do they send them separately/later?)
    I don't know.
    ..and do I really need it?

Will my PC just not connect to the wi/fi modem router with the purple or yellow cable (yes I am crap at this)?
    If you want to connect via wireless, you need a wireless adaptor.

Ring Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The usb adapter needs to be purchased separately and is not supplied automatically.
    The phone cable (purple) goes from phone socket to modem and the ethernet cable (yellow) goes from modem to PC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Firstly the Eircom bb product you ordered is not solely wifi based - there is a wireless router supplied which allows a wireless connection as well as a wired one.

You connect using the wired opton using what is called an ethernet cable. If your pc is a recent one it should have an ethernet connection already (this looks like a bigger version of a phone socket - there are four of them on most wireless routers!) if the pc is more than a couple of years old you may have to add an ethernet card - they are about 10 euros for an unbranded one or about 13 for a branded one. Any pc shop or somewhere like Maplins should be able to sell you one.

There is an example here: http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=104028

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DOD Crew

Cheers

Got it sorted. Turns out I didn't need the other part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

If you are now using the Ethernet cable connection I would turn the Wireless option to "Disabled" .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

hobie wrote:
    If you are now using the Ethernet cable connection I would turn the Wireless option to "Disabled" .....
    Good advice.

Advertisement