Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths

Options
  • 08-04-2006 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hey, I'm doing applied maths outside school, and i was just wondering if anyone is doing this aswell? And if so are you leaving out any chapters? I haven't even looked at statics or hydrostatics and i don't think i will. And if you're doing it in school, how are you finding it? Any tips/hints? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm doing it, and i'm in fifth year at the moment. Looking at our current progress, we should easily be able to complete a paper before the end of the year (thats six quesions out of 10).
    It's looking like an easy A tbh. I'm hoping we will just do the six topics and spend all of next year pracising to guarantee me good marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 richie_ie_2005

i did it last year and got an A1. yeah ur grand leaving out maybe two questions. to be honest statics isnt too bad though but prob a bit late now to start it. just do all the exam papers again and again and youll be grand. the exam papers in the shops dont have the answers so id recommend buying them off the teacher in the institute, cant remember his name but they go back to like 1970 or something ridiculous and have all the answers

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I'm doing applied maths as well. For a while I was worried I wouldn't do too well but I got an A2 in the mock which was surprising cos I thought I'd lost more marks on the part b's. The mock was the first time I saw how the marks are allocated, for some reason that's not in my papers. Still, it's on the last day of exams so I'll have two days before the exam to look over (not that I'm not studying now).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Try and make sure you have a bit of choice on the paper. Maybe have 8/9 questions prepared. You don't want to leave yourself open to some of your banker questions going badly.
    I went into my LC exam 4 years ago with 9 questions prepared, and fully intending to do statics... Just as well I had other stuff prepared because that question was a stinker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sariane

thanks a million, it's looking like i'm only gunna have 6 prepared maybe 7 but hey! :) hopefully i'll do alright!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I'd recommend preparing at least 7 or 8. There is almost always one or two disasters of questions - question 1 in particular can be horrible. Maybe it is too late now, but Statics is a grand old question I think. Hydrostatics isn't too bad but I'm leaving that out along with Circular Motion/Simple Harmonic Motion.

As for some tips, if you're sure you want to do question 1 (most people are), don't do it first, it can sap your confidence and take ages. Question 8 - Moments of Inertia - is a good starter as you have the theorem to get you going, a guaranteed 20 marks. The rest of the question is usually easy enough too. And do not spend more than 20 minutes on any question - it's unbelievable how easy they give marks away in Applied Maths, so even if you're nowhere near an answer you have more chance picking up marks elsewhere than trying to finish out the algebra at the end of a question.

If it helps, my plan for doing the questions on the day (which is generally in the order of simplicity) is: Moments of Inertia (Q8), Projectiles (Q3), Connected Particles (Q4), Collisions (Q5), Differential Equations (Q10), Statics (Q7). With Linear Motion (Q1) and Relative Velocity (Q2) as backups.

If only I spent as much time actually studying as I do planning, I'd be sorted.

Advertisement