Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT query

Options
  • 08-04-2006 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I have aquired a 91 micra, which is due the nct in July, I am thinking of firing it in now and finding out what is wrong if anything.

Firstly it orginally had non inertia reel belts in the back. The previous owner changed one for a belt with an inertia reel so there is one of both types. Will this be a problem?

Secondly, there is slight rust appearing on the doors, nothing much not affecting the structual metal. Any problems there?

I will take pics if anyone wants a gander?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

I'm sure you may know about this site but it does mention bodywork is inspected, i'm not sure how strict it is though.
    http://www.ncts.ie/inspection_list.html##6

on the plus side i did exactly the same thing this week, fired my car through and it failed on 1 type, i replaced it that day brought it back the next morning and now it's cool til 05/08.

be sure to take care of the normal bits like head light alignment, type pressures are correct, oil, spare and threads on ALL your tyres!

Even if it fails they tell you why and you can bring it back within 30 days for 27.50, so works work out cheaper than doing loads of stuff now that may not be needed.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

rust.jpg

This is the worst rust on her. Is it too bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

no way thats grand man!

Another Q.

Do you actually need to bring the tax book to get the car tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Depends how anal the guy in the NCT centre is. Bring it along just in case.
    For my own NCT they just asked what my reg was, and that was that.

• Advertisement

I only just bought it so I am still waiting on the book. I want to get the test done asap.

Bump!

So should I chance taking her in on Friday without the tax book?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Don't worry about the tax book, just bring the car an 49 E, and be there in time. The rust on the doors shouldn't be a problem, looks like surface rust on a secondary structure, not a fail.
    The saetbelts in the back are no problem either, as long as they work properly. Just give the car a little check over before you bring it in, make sure all the lights are working, fill up the washerbottle, check the tyre pressure, and make sure there is not to much rubbish in the car. And most important ! Do not have it checked by a garage !!! A waste of money.....

Sorry if my english is not a 100%....

Thanks for the support!

I only need a set of wiper blades and an indicator bulb. I hope she will be ok.

Was in yesterday. She failed for a imbalance in the back suspension. Was 37% out of balance, 30% being the limit. Problem was with the offside rear. Tester told me to simply replace the shock and it should be ok.

Replaced shock this morning but now must wait till the 25th for a retest.

I hopw she will pass now.

• Advertisement

What are the chances of cancellations occuring so I could get her back in before the 25th? Also do they only do retests at certain times of the day as there don't seem to be very early appointments available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Are there points for non tested cars on the road at the moment?

Nope, not at present. In theory there is a €1500 fine and a court appearance.

Advertisement