Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Improved Player/Standout Player

• 08-04-2006 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭

Just curious as to who people would rank as the most improved player during the premiership this season and who would be the standout player for the season, for me it would be...

Most Improved: Pederson

Standout: Fabregas

both could fall under either category but thats how i see it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Before the thread even opened those were the two i was thinking about. Spot on.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Most improved; it'd encompass the back end of last season too, but for Arsenal at least, it can only be one man:

Jens Lehmann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I'd agree with Lehmann. He's inproved in my estimation as he was anything but solid but he has been a giant for arsenal in a few important games this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Most improved; it'd encompass the back end of last season too, but for Arsenal at least, it can only be one man:

Jens Lehmann.

yeah he was dire at times last year, but his confirmation the other day as germanys number 1 keeper is a refection on how much he's improved this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Standout is close, between Darren Bent and MG Pedersen. Harewood and Stelios come close too.

Most Improved is Steve Finnan, everyone has known he has great potential but he really has started to fulfil it this season. Quality player, one of Irelands best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

-edit-

on second thought, this needs more thought! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Most improved - Robbie Keane

Standout - Craig Bellamy

If you're talking about Fabregas been a standout for the last month or two then I would agree with you but no way he's been a standout for the entire season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

most improved : michael dawson

standout : wayne rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Marlon Harewood *Most improved*

Ronaldo *standout*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I agree with Zane. DOnt know how Fabregas can be included.

Standout: Darren Bent

Most improved: Craig Bellamy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Most Improved: Steven Reid
    Standout: Daren Bent.-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Most improved - Robbie Keane

Standout - Craig Bellamy

If you're talking about Fabregas been a standout for the last month or two then I would agree with you but no way he's been a standout for the entire season.
    Craig Bellamy has only sprung into form in the past few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Suffered from a few niggling injuries through out the season though. Fabregas hasnt been anything special at all in the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Craig Bellamy has only sprung into form in the past few months

I've always been a big Craig Bellamy fan and with his move to Blackburn I've paid particular attention to him this season and IMO he's been playing the best football of his career throughout the season and has stood out to me more than any other Premiership player this season with consistently outstanding performances coupled with his attacking flair, he's a great and exciting player to watch which is quite rare for a modern day Premiership player. There is absolutely no doubt that his addition to Blackburn has been pivotal in their European assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Would be more interestingly done on a team by team basis (saves any bickering that way).

For Arsenal it would have to be Fabregas, as before the last month or so, they were all pretty dire all season (by their standards), and Lehmann, when he keeps his temper under control.

Manu: Rooney as standout, most improved of late would be Saha.

Pool: Hard to call, have they any standout players atm? beyond the obvious Gerrard, maybe Reina? been v. consistent all season. Kewell most improved atm.

Tottenham most improved: Keane maybe? Standout: Carrick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if it was spurs, the i think most improved would be dawson, followed by lennon

standout would be either keane or king or robimson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

For the Toon Army.

Most Improved : Charles N'Zogbia

Standout : Shay Given / Scott Parker (Close call between the two)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

For United:

Most Improved: O'Shea (who is really coming into his own in the midfield role imo, great to see, growing in stature every day)

Standout: Van Nist (really come back bad his injury last year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

21 goals from 25 matches... Stand-out player for me is VaVaVoom...

Most improved would definitely be Cesc Fabregas. Having to step into the Arsenal midfield at just 18, asked to be the Gunners' central playmaker, and he has never disappointed (unlike, for large periods earlier in the season, the more senior players).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm going to do this for my own team, Blackburn, and the league in general.

Blackburn

Most Improved: Steven Reid
    Started the season as a makeshift right winger but has made the central midfield spot beside Savage his own. Has scored some cracking goals too and now looks an important part of Staunton's Irish setup.

Standout: Morten Gamst Pedersen
    I knew he'd be something special this season and always said it. He got a run of games towards the end of last season where he was settling in and scored some great goals. He started this season the same and its a pity now that his season is fizzling out just as Bellamy is on-form. There's no doubting Bellamy has been magnificent over the past few weeks but MGP has been Rovers' star performer all season.

The league:

Most Improved: Joe Cole
    Has finally started to make his mark for Chelsea and England.

Standout: Thierry Henry
    Need I say anything? Just watch his second goal against Villa last week. Pure genius.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

most improved : Louis Saha/Harry Kewell (not from their previous clubs but both underperformed since going their new clubs until this season)

Standout : Thierry Henry - theres nobody even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

most improved ( at chelsea anyway) joe cole

standout: Henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Most Improved: Joe Cole, now a proper player where as last year he was potential.

Standout: Again, it has to be Henry doesn't it. Without him Arsenal are nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Most Improved: Robbie Keane

Standout: Rooney or Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Most improved player: Robbie Keane
    Stand out player: Henry

United:
    Most improved: o Shea
    Standout: Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Most Improved: Matthew Flamini for Arsenal. Looked a very average player ladst year. Has made the left back his own this year.

Stand out: Jamie Carragher. Liverpool have Conceded 22 goals this season. Would have been a lot more if it wasn't for him.

Sajan wrote:
    Most Improved: Matthew Flamini for Arsenal. Looked a very average player ladst year. Has made the left back his own this year.

Eh, he's only played there a handful of times and as good as he's been I don't even think he's been the most improved player at Arsenal. And once Clichy and Cole are back Flamini will move straight back to central midfield / the bench.

Maybe some of the Arsenal fans will know better than me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll nominate the Liverpool backline for outstanding (Reina more clean sheets than Cech) and most improved , hard to say but Keane must get a mention as he seemed a waster tbh*. Maybe the Captian thing has worked! :D

Can I mentioned the player who has slid backwards most? Damian Duff. A shadow of his old self and its not even his fault really.

Mike.

*just stop the cartwheels please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Its hard to name one from each so I will throw in a few names that have stood out in my mind.

Most Improved : Harewood/J.Roberts/Arteta/Robbie Keane/J.Cole

Standout player : Rooney/Henry/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Most Improved : Steven Davis (Aston villa) / Richard Dunne (Man City)

Standout player : Kevin Nolan / Stelios Giannakopoulos (Bolton)

Steven Davis

Good call. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Most Improved: Joe Cole

He has always had the talent but has never used it effectively - this season he has been a revelation - Player of the Year i reckon.

Standout:Between Rooney and Fabregas imo - both have shown maturity beyond there years and both well become truly great player over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Most improved player: Robbie Keane, must be because of the extra responsibility being vice-captain.

Stand out player: Rooney in the Prem, very consistant./ Henry in Champs/league dragging them into the semi`s.

Advertisement