Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biking in Portugal

• 08-04-2006 9:18pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone gone biking in portugal before? Im off with the missus and we're hiring a fatboy for a couple of days! :-)

We're travelling from abulfeira to lisbon for an overnite and looking forward to it! Ive heard that a few years ago portugal was the most dangerous place in europe to go driving, not sure if that the case?

Im a deauville owner meself so the harley will be a big jump to say the least!

Anyone any tips for biking that route? I know feck all about driving in portugal!

Any help/tips much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,746 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I haven't ridden in Portugal, but Spanish drivers are considerate, if that's any help.
    From looking at the Hairy Bikers Cookbook episode, it looks like a beautiful place to go biking :)
    Don't worry about the supposed step up from the DV to the Harley, any extra power will more than be compensated for by extra weight :(

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

They're certainly more bike-aware over there, and don't write bikers off as some kind of antisocial annoyance. Countryside is pretty spectacular, no matter where you go, but riding around Lisbon can be a bit buttock-clenching. :) Generally speaking, though, Portuguese drivers aren't as maniacal as the Italians, or as oblivious as the Irish equivalents. Wish I was going on a tour again. I haven't been able to get away on the bike for over THREE YEARS!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Portuguese car drivers are definitely more bike aware but are very scary. I cycled around Lisbon a few years ago and lost count of the number of near misses I saw. Have you experience driving on the right hand side of the road? I found it hard on the back roads to pull in right when I needed to do it quickly - instinct pulled me in left. I'm so jealous - you will have a ball.

'cptr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

thanks for feedback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

sounds like its gonna be good, me & my girlfirend rented a heritage softtail classic in san fran & while i loved the biek, it couldnt corner at all. While this wouldnt usually be a bad thing in america i just happened to find the most curvey road in america, i would have loved to have had my africa twin for it. the bike was amazing but i ended up scraping the engine bars a few time trying to lean the bike into corners (cliff edge, up hill negative camber, oh yeah :D). The road was highway 1 north of sanfran some of the most amazing scenery i have ever scene, i would definately recommend it

• Advertisement
Advertisement