Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Megabikes ??

• 08-04-2006 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any expierience with Megabikes in Dublin 2 ??

I was looking at a Yamaha FJ1200 there today and I'm still trying to decide on it. I heard some people complaining about the shop before.

The bike is nice, 20k on the clock and its an 87, he's looking for E2500 for it but won't give a warranty of any kind.

Opinions please , on the bike and the shop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I've used megabikes for nearly the last 4 years. I think it's a great shop. They are expensive, but every bike shop seems to be expensive these days! I know the lads in there fairly well so i get discount from time to time. Everything there is above board

Nothing giving a warrenty at all sounds a bit strange tho. But he wouldn't sell a bike that was about to blow up! What guy were you dealing with? What did he look like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

BrynW wrote:
    I've used megabikes for nearly the last 4 years. I think it's a great shop. They are expensive, but every bike shop seems to be expensive these days! I know the lads in there fairly well so i get discount from time to time. Everything there is above board

Nothing giving a warrenty at all sounds a bit strange tho. But he wouldn't sell a bike that was about to blow up! What guy were you dealing with? What did he look like?

I think I was dealing with the head guy, I got a card that says Ciaran Hayes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Yeah he is the owner. I personnally would have no problem buying another bike off him, or anything else for that matter. But at the end of the day, it's buyer beware! If you're not happy in any way, or have a doubt about buying that bike, then i think you know your answer yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Is it an imported bike? The mileage seems very low for an 87. Get the bike checked out especially since there's no warranty. Ask yourself would you pay that money to a private seller? Could be a bargain though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They seem to be the kind of shop where you have to be 'in with them' to get any customer service. The last time I was in there i was after heated grips, yer man hands me a set of Oxford ones for €120, when i asked if he had any cheaper ones I was told quite firmly that that was the cheapest price i'd get any heated grips in Ireland - I told him he was alright as I could get them online from BRAY for €35 and walked out! I got my old bike in there and while they gave me a good enough price for the trade in they didn't include a free frist service or a discount on clothing and I ended up buying €500 worth of stuff from them.:mad:
    When I got the new bike in Planet Fun it was SO different!! The guy held up the big bikes and let me sit on them(i'm short :D )there was a delay with fitting the licence plate-they offered me tea/coffee and showed me all the mini motos and cool things etc while I was waiting, and my first service is free. They also offered me free gloves (which i stupidly didn't take and now have minging gloves!!:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Well I got my frist two bikes from them. A verago and a dragstar. Each one I got a free 1000mile service. I got Discounts on anything I both at the time. (frist bike was with cloaths and locks and stuff) second was with a back rest for the bike. I've always gotten on well with the lads. Some people dont some do.
    I've always gotten my bikes serviced there (with the exception of the Ducati) Always both all my gear from them as well. I like the place my-self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,746 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

TBH I don't think you can reasonably expect a warranty on a near 20 year old bike.
    A hell of a lot depends on how it was treated by previous owners, changing of certain parts etc. which are totally out of the control of the seller. Accept the fact that things will break. With luck, they will only be minor things, but you never know, and the dealer can't either.

Best thing you can do is check in with the FJ club in the UK and learn about the common faults, every older bike has them. Using this knowledge you can tell a good 'un from a minger. Good luck!

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I've bought two bikes there and find them fine. They give you 10% discount of accessories for a year after purchase which is a fairly decent deal and the free first service I got on my previous bike was really very good - the bike came out sounding and feeling hugely better than when it went in. I'm just about to leave the second bike in for the second service and hoping it comes out likewise...

I've taken a mate there to get his bike too and he was fairly well looked after. But buying such a old second hand bike is probably going to be always a bit of a risk no matter which shop you go to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

K-TRIC........the FJ12 doesn't have a shaft..........yesh??

Anyhoo, a friend of mine in Galway is thinking of selling his 92 FJ1200ABS c/w luggage etc. I had a loan of it for a week last summer, and it's bloody amazing. The engine pulls better than my 02 R1150RT, and it's got a (much) better seat too!! My arse can testify to this.

Interested? lemmeknow, I'll see if I can get a pic or 9 to ya and you can talk to him direct.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i have seen what one of their "mechanics" have done to a set of carbs on a cbr250, trumpets were mangled, rgv rubber used everywhere, adjusting screws worn, one pilot jet destroyed, ended up needing new carbs & they claimed it wasnt them

personally i wouldnt use them, but their are horror stories from every garage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've never had any problems with Megabikes and have always used them for any servicing.

Advertisement