Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the streets upcoming album.

Options
  • 08-04-2006 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭

anyone get a listen to any tracks off it yet dying to get this cd when its out . next week i think,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I walked to the shop, pop top stop, said the man, with a can waving a fan WHERE'S ME VAN! MAN!

I suppose you can expect more of these creative well put together 'rhymes'

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Heard about 5 of the tracks on Zhane Lowe's R1 show, last week and a review on radio 4's arts show last night...it's that dreaded "difficult third album".
    Definitely lost the edge and the garage feel...he's made a lot of money and it's reflected in the tracks...some of which sounded forced to me.
    Definitely not an OPM in terms of flow and innovation...when you take the guy out of the council estate, you effectively take the council estate out of the songs. Now it's all about record companies, spending too much money and bitching about "making it". There's no sense of passion.

I loved OPM, one of my top albums.
    A grand don't... less so; well structured album, some good tracks but something slightly contrived and commercial about it...also we have the dreadful Dry Your Eyes...the song which for most people like our good friend ntlbell will have been their introduction to Skinner.

I'll likely buy the album, but from what I've heard I don't expect much from it.
    He can't be accused of selling out, but there's no doubt that success has changed his outlook which in turn has changed the output.
    I never did get to see them live...I get the feeling that even if I do now, that it won't touch what they were like circa 2003...shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Wertz wrote:
    Heard about 5 of the tracks on Zhane Lowe's R1 show, last week and a review on radio 4's arts show last night...it's that dreaded "difficult third album".
    Definitely lost the edge and the garage feel...he's made a lot of money and it's reflected in the tracks...some of which sounded forced to me.
    Definitely not an OPM in terms of flow and innovation...when you take the guy out of the council estate, you effectively take the council estate out of the songs. Now it's all about record companies, spending too much money and bitching about "making it". There's no sense of passion.

I loved OPM, one of my top albums.
    A grand don't... less so; well structured album, some good tracks but something slightly contrived and commercial about it...also we have the dreadful Dry Your Eyes...the song which for most people like our good friend ntlbell will have been their introduction to Skinner.

I'll likely buy the album, but from what I've heard I don't expect much from it.
    He can't be accused of selling out, but there's no doubt that success has changed his outlook which in turn has changed the output.
    I never did get to see them live...I get the feeling that even if I do now, that it won't touch what they were like circa 2003...shame really.

Yep. I received it a few weeks ago to review. Ugh. I'll be a little more blunt than the above (which is broadly correct IMO):

OPM - Superbly original, loved it.
    A Grand... - Meh, very average, beginning to dislike them.
    This - Yuck yuck yuck. Even the lead single is dire. The guy is out of touch with the "common man" approach that made him big in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

That's pretty sad to hear from someone that's heard the whole thing.
    Maybe I'll just "acquire" it this time round.

No doubt it'll still top the charts, since the people that bought AGDCFF on the back of dry your eyes will rush out to get this one too.
    Maybe that's partly why it's not as good as the other albums; at this stage you can pump out any old crap and it'll sell...Skinner doesn't care cause he has a lifestyle to fund, the record company doesn't care because they know it'll sell.
    "They say that everything sounds the same, then you go buy them?"
    Ironic really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭tallaghtdave

listening to a few tracks off it now.
    not great i got to say but it may grow on me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement