Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean petrol off cat?

Options
  • 08-04-2006 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

our cat is after covering his chest, legs, and underneath in petrol somehow (just noticed him walking around the garden drenched earlier).

We rang up the vet earlier and they told us to use fairy liquid or similar, and that will dissolve it. We did that and washed and dried him vigorously for a few hours, put him in the shower and everything (he was remarkably sedate for some reason).

It's worked to an extent... There's no more petrol/oil/whatever coming off onto towels when we wash him, so I think that's all we're gonna get by that method.

But his coat is still very obviously glued together with this stuff still, and the smell is horrendous. He's not acting himself either, he seems reluctant to lie down, and he's just sitting still looking very dazed, I think the fumes are getting to him. He's sneezing a bit and the dog won't play with him either.

Anyone got any tips to get rid of this stuff?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hmm maybe a groomers might be able to tell you. I'll have an answer for you later as Im off out now.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Take her down to the vet to have a look at her if she's not acting herself. She might have taken in some of the petrol if she's so covered in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

LIght him on fire and then plunge him in freezing cold water.
    It must be freezing though, otherwise....well god knows what could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Can you trim/brush it out? I'd be concerned that the cat might ingest it while cleaning itself so it might be an idea to cut as much of it out as possible & then wash the cat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Ingestion's bad,mmkay.
    Shave your pussy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Karoma wrote:
    Shave your pussy.

On that note and slightly off topic. I always love when my cats come in from the rain and I have to dry them off, I get to say "I've never had so much wet pussy in the house". I'll never grow old of that joke. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

You could try T-Gel. Get it in the chemist or tescos. Its shampoo that will get anything out of hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

pisslips wrote:
    is that a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 maxruby

When my cat was small she got incense oils on her.Vet suggested the same. She got really destressed when we where washing her, but she got over it. She smelled lovely for ages, not like the petrol smell like yours. Is your cat eating? And just watch to see if gets sick. Wouldnt you be stressed if you had a bath in washing up liquid and then a shower???????????
    And maybe setting her onfire might not be a good idea. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah he was eating quite alot actually! We gave him the wet food (cos he likes that ;)) to distract him while we took a hair-dryer to him :D

I'll keep an eye on him, and we'll probably wash him again tomorrow. Maybe he's just traumatised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Pisslips permanently banned.
    Muppet.

Id recommend Tgel aswell.Should remove the petrol from its coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yeah you will probably have to keep your cat washed a few times before it gets back to normal, poor thing :( my wife is a dog groomer and the washing up liquid thing is all she could recommend as its a good grease remover. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

pisslips wrote:

banned.

Ruu wrote:
    Yeah you will probably have to keep your cat washed a few times before it gets back to normal, poor thing :( my wife is a dog groomer and the washing up liquid thing is all she could recommend as its a good grease remover. Best of luck.
    Thanks for that :)

He's more himself this morning, which is good. He was bein all affectionate again :p And now he's gone off on patrol around the garden!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Did you manage to work out how he ended up covered in petrol in the first place Dave?

no, haven't a bloody clue :( we looked around in the shed to see if there was anything, but didn't see any spills... I thought that he might have fallen into the tank for the central heating, but the lid was still locked onto it.

It's very strange then. Cats have an uncanny tendency to get themselves into awkward situations. Thankfully, as everyone knows, they have nine lives.

I'm getting all sentimental about my cats now. I used to have three, but they all died in the last 4 years. The last one only died last month. *sniff* I miss them a lot. We'll have to get a kitten.

:(

You should! This is our first cat, and it was great when he came home, all tiny and shaky and stuff... :) He could use his bloody claws though! :mad:

But yeh, head down to the vets and see if there's any litters :)

Advertisement