Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipping puppy's nails

• 08-04-2006 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Our 5 month old pup has seriously sharp nails (talons almost) everytime she jumps up on one of us she draws blood or gives us a serious scratch. Is it ok to file down her nails or should we bring her to a groomers to get them clipped?

She doesnt need sharp nails it is not as if she does alot of climbing. I am just afraid that she might get one of us in the face/eyeor hurt a child or something
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Puppies nails are ALWAYS sharp. That's because theyre still thin and therefore very pointy, more like cat's claws. They will get thicker and more blunt with age.

So don't cut them just because they're sharp and bothering you. Start training the pup instead not to hit you with its paws, scratch you or jump up. "Ouch" in a sort of yelping voice will let the pup know that it hurt you and "NO" will let it know that it is doing semthing inappropriate. That and some time should do the trick.

Still ...unless your dogs runs marathons on hard pavement everyday ...the claws will need to be cut at some stage (and regularly). When claws get too long, they prevent the dog from using its feet properly, walking on the "wrist" / "ankle" rather than on its toes ...this will cause damage to the paws in the long run.

So now is as good a time as any to get your dog used to getting its nails clipped (filing takes way too long). Get a good doggy claw clippers, nothing homemade or designed for human use. Start off gently by only clipping off a tiny amount and with lots of praise for holding still. Be firm but gentle. Don't turn it into a big affair.
    Make sure not to cut into the quick ...that hurts ...big time !!!
    If your dog has black claws and you can't see the quick, maybe get some advice from your vet where to cut and where not to cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

yeah you have to start them young or they will be a terror for anyone who has to cut their nails :( my wife always has horror stories for me that in the grooming salon she works in, full grown newfoundlands needing their nails done..now thats a huge dog! if you are going to do it yourself make sure not to cut them too close (its hard to see the veins if their nails are black though).
    As said before if your dog is an outdoor dog, they should stay fairly short but do need trimming once in a while anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Thanks all looks like the its off to the groomers for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Why not do it yourself, it isn't that difficult...
    Would be a good opportunity for both of you to get to know each other better and to start building up some trust.

There will be plenty more times when your dog will need her paws touched (cleaning, cutting hairs, inspecting for wounds, removing stones, etc) Now, at the puppy stage is a very good time (the best !) to get her used to being handled.

If you're not sure about the whole thing ...by all means get some advice the first time round, but try to do it yourself afterwards. There will be minor "emergencies" to come, where you will be glad that your dog trusts you and lets you handle her paws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

i had the same problem, but the vet said if you clip them while they're too young, the nails will be deformed and grow wierd. which, come to think of it, is probably why my last dog had curly nails. he recommended walks on concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭sudzs

i had the same problem, but the vet said if you clip them while they're too young, the nails will be deformed and grow wierd. which, come to think of it, is probably why my last dog had curly nails. he recommended walks on concrete.

By any chance did your vet suggest you bring the puppy in to him for the nail clipping? At how much a visit???!

I dont see how clipping them would make them grow weird unless you cut too far into the nailbed and damaged it. Anyway, walks on concrete should do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's normal for their nails to be sharp at that age until walks wear them down, some dogs need their nails cut more often than others, some never do. Once you start you will have to have them done regularly but it's easy enough just get a good dog nail clippers, groomers and vets will charge you for nail cutting if unsure have the vet show you how to clip the nails and then you can do it yourself from then on. No harm in a little filing of them now if they are hurting people a tough human nail file might work depending on how tough the nails are and it will just take the edge off the sharpness. Kids can easily get hurt by a sharp nails by accident as you know yourself, it saves them coming screaming to you lol.

In the mean time if not already handle her paws regularly and look in her ears etc just to get her used to being handled like that so it's not as difficult to medicate her etc in the future should she ever need ear drops etc.

Advertisement