Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Digital(Yay or Nay)

• 09-04-2006 1:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

Got one of their flyers in post other day offering a 3month free trial but then after that its 5euro a month.My kids are always on at me to get it for the obvious reason.Rang Ntl and got coaxed into going with the "MAX" package which gives you 100 channels for 5euro for first three months and then 10euro after that.

I have one of those Dell 26" lcd Tv's. Im just wondering is Ntl digital any good,I've tracked back on a search on boards but didnt find anything definite about it.I have two scart leads in the tv but while playing a video through it,it can sometimes cut out for split second but stops cutting out after a while.

So basically is Ntl worth getting using it with an Lcd tv....

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭gavnolan

i have a sony bravia 26" and i watch ntl digital on that and have no problems at all, picture is quality and it seems as ntl have sorted a lot of their "freezing" problems out as it doesnt seem to happen any more..for the extra €5 or €10 you cant really go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

I have a 32" Samsung LCD and I think the ntl picture is good. I never has Sky so I can't compare but I dont really have any problems. I suppose the quality of your LCD would make a difference also.

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

gavnolan wrote:
    i have a sony bravia 26" and i watch ntl digital on that and have no problems at all, picture is quality and it seems as ntl have sorted a lot of their "freezing" problems out as it doesnt seem to happen any more..for the extra €5 or €10 you cant really go wrong.

ntl was quite bad last night during the golf, but it was the first hiccup in ages as far as service goes. The analogue signal was rock solid throughout the digital hiccups, so I just switched over to that. The picture quality is generally superb on my 32" crt, and always switches to WS when necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've just gone from NTL analogue to Sky digital and was amazed at my picture quality (32" Samsung LCD) for the first couple of weeks. Never had NTL digital though, so can't offer you a comparison with that.

Would probably have gone with NTL digital, but 3 months after moving house my NTL was cut off without warning, realised I hadn't been billed since I moved, when I rang they had no record of me ever having an account at either address, told me to get reconnected I'd have to pay off a massive bill at my current address (about twice what I reckon I owed them) plus 50 quid for a new connection if I couldn't prove I'd transferred the account from an old address. I thanked them, hung up, and ordered Sky. Up to then I'd never understood people's complaints about them as they'd been fine to deal with.

Rant over:
    I know quite a few people on NTL digital who seem happy enough with the signal quality, so if you don't want to go to the hassle of getting a dish in, it's probably OK. Pricewise there's not much difference betwen the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sky Digital always looks better than NTL Digital, on any installation of either that I've seen. NTL Digital can be plagued with artifacts (compression/pixelation), especially at peak times. Setanta Sports Ireland is sometimes bordering on watchable. I've been told my signal strength is as good as it gets.

I've seen some artifacts on the "lesser" channels on Sky Digital, but the signal quality was way down.

I'm fussy, and I'm not happy with NTL Digital, but I don't have the option to get Sky Digital. If you do, I'd recommend it over NTL Digital any day. You're welcome to bring the TV over to my place (Terenure) to try NTL digital, however practical that is.

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

cgarvey wrote:
    Sky Digital always looks better than NTL Digital, on any installation of either that I've seen. NTL Digital can be plagued with artifacts (compression/pixelation), especially at peak times. Setanta Sports Ireland is sometimes bordering on watchable. I've been told my signal strength is as good as it gets.

I've seen some artifacts on the "lesser" channels on Sky Digital, but the signal quality was way down.

I'm fussy, and I'm not happy with NTL Digital, but I don't have the option to get Sky Digital. If you do, I'd recommend it over NTL Digital any day. You're welcome to bring the TV over to my place (Terenure) to try NTL digital, however practical that is.

.cg

Thanks for the offer Cg but I went with the max package in the end,the pic is much clearer than the normal one,but I have noticed ghosting with some films maybe because of the Dell 26 lcd I got,think its 25mls or something like that. The resolution on some of the stations need a changing to either downsize them etc.All in all im tied in now for a year.

Thanks.

Advertisement