Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite BBC Comedy of each decade?

• 09-04-2006 4:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

Just got "The Complete Blackadder" and realised BBC really have been the leading (and only real) producer of British comedy.. what's your favourite BBC produced comedy in each of the last few decades? Mine are as follows:

1960's: "Monty Python's Flying Circus" (1969 - 1974)
    1970's: "Fawlty Towers" (1975-1979)
    1980's: "Blackadder" (1986 - 1999)
    1990's: "I'm Alan Partidge" (1997-2002)
    2000's: "The Office" (2001-2003)

Made some questionable choices there since the majority of Monty Python was the 70's and also Blackadder.. i couldn't just choose one series! :D

And a bit iffy about "I'm Alan Partidge" as i'm a firm believer in the term "it's better to burn out than to fade away".. whereas Alan Partidge has made a couple of horrible unfunny appearances in Comic Relief and such recently.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Well comic relief is never going to live up to the show itself and probably shouldn't really be counted as canon anyway.

If you judge it just on the 6 I'm Alan Partridge eps from 1997 then yes it is the funniest BBC comedy of the 90's imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

no "only fools..." to be seen :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'd say Only Fools would have won 'the 80's' (not for me but in general) if it hadn't tainted itself with so much crap during the 90's-00's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sixties - Monty Python
    Seventies - Fawlty Towers (ignoring the repeats factor!)
    Eighties - Blackadder
    Ninties - Royale Family
    Naughties - Can't think of anything outstanding yet.

Honourable mentions for Not Only But Also (60s),
    Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin (70s), Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads (70s), The Day Today (90s).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Pigman II wrote:
    I'd say Only Fools would have won 'the 80's' (not for me but in general) if it hadn't tainted itself with so much crap during the 90's-00's.
    Same goes for me... "better to burn out than to fade away"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Only fools was best comedy of all time IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

1960s: Monty Python's Flying Circus
    1970s: Fawlty Towers
    1980s: Blackadder
    1990s: The Day Today
    2000s: BrassEye

SebtheBum wrote:
    2000s: BrassEye
    Produced and aired by Channel 4 but let you away with it!

basquille wrote:
    Produced and aired by Channel 4 but let you away with it!
    Sh*te. Would you believe that I only put BrassEye in because my favourite of the 2000's, Spaced, is also produced and aired by Channel4...

Maybe Ch4 is better at airing alternative comedy, while BBC tries the more tried-and-tested material every time? Just a thought.

Ok... 2000's... My Family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Brass Eye was 1990s surely? Anyhow, how about Nighty Night for the 00's :)

• Advertisement

My Family?????? Okay I laugh (in a guilty way) but if it was'nt for the presence of Wanamaker and Lindsay I would'nt give it the time of day).

Mike.

delah wrote:
    Brass Eye was 1990s surely? Anyhow, how about Nighty Night for the 00's :)
    Brass Eye was 1997-2001. IMO that means you can argue it either way.
    Irrelevent anyway, as Basquille pointed out; it was produced by Ch4, not the BBC. My mistake.

Yeah My Family would be my choice for the Noughties, cept I'm unsure if the BBC produced it... Started in 2000, and it's still going. I think it's quality, partly because the characters involved remind me so much of my own clan as well. Kris Marshall is brilliant and Robert Lindsay is just my dad, it's uncanny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Early Doors for the 00's

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sixties - Monty Python
    Seventies - Fawlty Towers
    Eighties - Blackadder
    Ninties - Men Behaving Badly or Game On :D
    Noughties - Nothing has blown me away that I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

60s Steptoe and Son (hon mention: Hancock)
    70s Fawlty Towers (Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em)
    80s Yes Minister (Blackadder)
    90s One Foot In The Grave (Alan Partridge)
    00s Office (Coupling)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

corblimey wrote:
    60s Steptoe and Son (hon mention: Hancock)
    70s Fawlty Towers (Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em)
    80s Yes Minister (Blackadder)
    90s Father Ted (One Foot In The Grave)
    00s Phoenix Nights (Coupling)

Surprised nobody mentioned Father Ted, you hairy japanese b*st*rds
    That would be because the thread was asking for BBC comedies, not C4 ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

i normally hate Johnny Vegas ( really hate ) but I've grown to love Ideal....
    its a brilliant comedy, that for me is one of the best things the BBC has done this decade

And just to get into the spirit of things....

70's - Fawlty Tours
    80's - Only Fools and Horses
    90's - The Fast Show
    00's - Ideal ( prefer it to the office although its a close fight )

And 'Phoenix Nights' is brillant but also C4.

Oopsie, came up with a great response, and then read the thread title. Still, now you all look stupid, and I still got a Father Ted quote onto this thread :D;)

corblimey wrote:
    Still, now you all look stupid..
    Seeing as aiden_walsh quoted your original response, who's the one that looks stupid now?! :D

• Advertisement

i normally hate Johnny Vegas ( really hate )

Yeah I hate him too. He single-handedly ruined ShootingStars. :(

basquille wrote:
    Seeing as aiden_walsh quoted your original response, who's the one that looks stupid now?! :D
    hmm, yes, good point. Mods, please delete aiden_walsh's reply, it makes me look stupid.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

corblimey wrote:
    hmm, yes, good point. Mods, please delete aiden_walsh's reply, it makes me look stupid.
    OK then.

Actually, no, I'll leave it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

1960's: Monty Python's Flying Circus
    1970's: Fawlty Towers
    1980's: Blackadder (Hon. Mention: 'Only Fools')
    1990's: Red Dwarf - I only discovered it in 1996, hence my inclusion of it in the 1990's section. (Hon. Mention: 'One Foot in the Grave')
    2000's: The Office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

60&70's: Month Python's Flying Circus
    80's: Blackadder
    90's: I'm Alan Partridge
    2000: The Office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

90's kid so the early stuff wouldnt appeal to me much.

Have seen a decent bit of blackadder tho and it is very good.
    90's - men behaving badly
    00's - shooting stars (because thats when i started watching)

notable mentions go to the office and little britan.

I think channel 4 has pwnt the bbc in recent years (imo)
    phoenix nights, spaced, black books, brass eye ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Well, I don't remember the 60s or 70s, and not much of the 80s (thank Christ) and I only got BBC in 1992 (we were very poor) so anything I've seen are well old repeats.
    But anyway, my list would be from the 60s Dad's Army, cause I remember watching that in my Nan's house when I was very young and it kind of sticks with me.
    From the 70s it'd have to be Fawlty Towers, one of the best comedies of all time there really.
    From the 80s, I can't believe nobody has mentioned Not the Nine O'Clock News (aired from '79 to '82 I believe).
    From the 90s, Red Dwarf or One Foot in the Grave, both of them crack me up.
    And then the 00s, nothing really comes to mind. Maybe My Family (it is funny when you're bored on a Sunday afternoon), certainly not The Office or Little Britain anyway as they're really not very good. The Office was only good for the cringe factor, but it wears thin very quickly. I'm glad Gervais gave it the chop after two series as it was getting stale.

See a few votes for The Royale Family there. Can anyone explain what was funny about that show? I never got it, just seemed to be complete crap to me, same category as Little Britain for me. A bunch of fools sitting around scratching their arses, like watching six Homer's but none of them doing anything. They didn't seem to say much either. And I liked Caroline Ahern as Mrs Merton, but this?

If we were including other channels then surely Spitting Image would have to be right up there in the 80s section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

'Colin's Sandwich' with Mel Smith was a good BBC comedy.

Ah Colins Sandwitch was great, real pity it only got two short series.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I'd definitely agree with Fawlty Towers and I'm Alan Partridge from the 70's and 90's. Steve Coogan is absolutely brilliant!!!! There's an Alan Partridge movie coming out in the not too distant future also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Don't know how anyone could say the office was getting stale after two seasons. It definitely left me wanting more, but both series and the specials worked so good as a multi-layered story and had such a perfect conclusion that it made sense to call it a day.

Was never really into into Python for some reason so have nothing from the 60's.
    70's- Fawlty Towers
    80's- Fools and Horses
    90's- Partridge - Knowing me knowing you and I'm AP.
    00's- The office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Channel 4 has been the better source of comedy recently, I feel. Peep Show is probably the funniest programme of this century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Have I Got News For You? as their 90's choice. The first four or five seasons are pure gold with Merton's surreal take on things tempered by Angus Deayton's classical wit and Ian Hislop's sharp, sardonic comments. Not to mention unforgettable guest apperances from the likes of Eddie Izzard. This show regularly left me in tears of laughter with its brilliant, unpredictable approach.

I think a lot of people are forgetting it as it doesn't lend itself well to repeats, based, as it is, on the week's events, and it has been past its peak for a long time, with only occasional moments reaching the same heights as those scaled so early in its run. Still, I think its the best the BBC did in the 90s.

Whose Line is it Anyway? would be my second choice if we remove the BBC restriction. There was a also a political quiz show, which featured one of the Goons as a guest, and only ran for a few seasons which was quite good. Can't remember the name.

Special mention must go to The Mary Whitehouse Experience which was probably the best sketch show of the decade but didn't run for long enough to really imprint itself on general populace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

cerbeus wrote:
    Early Doors for the 00's
    oh yes early doors,top show,the coppers have me in stitches:D

Advertisement