Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Pk - Sloped backgardens?

Options
  • 09-04-2006 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi
    We have just received our letters to snag our 2 bed townhouse in the Park and went out there on Saturday to take a look. The surprise was the backgarden, there was a very big slope to it - it is not even close to being level. Has anyone else found this?
    I really don't want a sloped backgarden but am not sure what I can do about it at this point. Is this something that can be put on the snag list? Or are we just being a little crazy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 FVC

If you have a south facing back garden then you should try to do something about it. I doubt that will level the garden for you. I have one in the Grove and even though it is pretty much level, the builders had to dig a trench the length of the garden to aid the drainage. They have definetly done it to 2 other houses with south facing gardens. There is a water problem on the far side of the wall. Basically, the level of the land on the far side of the wall is a lot lower than the gardens.

I have friends who live a few doors down from me and they have a pretty steep garden and when there was downpour their patio kept flooding and was covered with silt. Also, make sure the incline of your patio is away from your house

So, at least insist on the drainage trench and make sure it's deep otherwise the grass won't grow properly

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Hi Hope75....I have a South facing garden with a slope and I have so much trouble with it...we have been flooded several times out our back and I had to ring to get them to have a look. Our patio was sloped towards the house also!! which they fixed several weeks later and then the flooding in the fields behind was draining into the gardens that were sloped, in several house in the grove. I would see what can be done sooner than later as our garden is in a state now and even though they put drainage in and dug up in the fields behind I think it will take Charlie Dimmock or Dermot Gavin to fix ours!! or a miracle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hope75

Thanks for your advice! We have a west facing backgarden so hopefully we won't have the same drainage problems as the south gardens. We phoned the site manager this morning and were told that the drainage was sufficient for the site - so hopefully this is true! We also asked them to level out the garden (doesn't hurt to try) but as expected were told a resounding NO - so I guess I will have to live with my ski slope backgarden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Hope75 wrote:
    Thanks for your advice! We have a west facing backgarden so hopefully we won't have the same drainage problems as the south gardens. We phoned the site manager this morning and were told that the drainage was sufficient for the site - so hopefully this is true! We also asked them to level out the garden (doesn't hurt to try) but as expected were told a resounding NO - so I guess I will have to live with my ski slope backgarden!

The drainage is appalling, they were supposed to put in land drains which they never did. See my previous thread. If I was at teh snag list stage I would let them away with nothing..NO YOU ARE NOT CRAZY!!! That's an Irish attitude, not wanting too appear to fussy and that's why we tend to get walked on.....Hammer them with everything...you are paying enough for you house and they have at least a 100% mark-up so demand perfection...I wish I did !!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I'm up in the Court and our drainage is a disgrace. Puddles of water build up each time it rains, if there was a slope towards the house we'd be in big trouble!
    If you still can, get them to sort it out. I'm sorry I didn't, I was pawned off with some lame excuse (which I fell for!!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement