Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you know if your TV supports HD?

• 09-04-2006 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭

I have a Sharp LCD, which I bought in 2004. It doesn't have a model number written anywhere on it, so I was wondering, how would I be able to tell, whether it's High definition ready or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

If you have a manual for it then look around the last few pages , it should give you a maximum resolution , if this is 1368 x 768 then it should be able to show a HD picture , of course this is no good without a HD input ,

So look on the back of the TV , is there a HDMI socket , if not is there a component video in , ( thats 3 x RCA connecters that are red green and blue ) note that they must be red green and blue and not yellow white and red ( this would be compos"h"ite video)

If you dont have either of these is there a DVI connection ?

If you have the necessary resolution and at least one of the above connections then you qualify as HD ready , otherwise its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Does it have DVI, HDMi or a Component inputs?

I'm pretty sure those are the only ways of getting a HD signal to a TV.

EDIT: /\ He said it better /\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Bit of a mistake there monkeyfudge , Component you meant , not composite !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

andy1249 wrote:
    Bit of a mistake there monkeyfudge , Component you meant , not composite !!
    Bah.. yes... I'm just out of bed. Brain not working yet.

Advertisement