Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on cash for the summer

Options
  • 09-04-2006 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Obvioulsy everyone's thoughts have turned to what they are going to be doing for the summer and where they are going to go. I guess I have settled on Thiland but Im having problems trying to think of the wierd and wonderful ways to pay for it. Loans? Work like a trooper? Or both? Any suggestion or previous experience .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

The ol' loan has to be the answer. It would be rude not to take all that money on offer. Get yourself a nice interest free one. I have one with Ulster Bank for €3k, no interest, paid at €100 per month. Its managable if you set it up right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Flog yore hoop!! Thats how I fund my trips to Mosney. Well, I actually flog Sebs...

Actually, bank loan is instant and good but a pain to pay back. On balance though it's the best route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

boneless wrote:
    Flog yore hoop!! Thats how I fund my trips to Mosney. Well, I actually flog Sebs...
    This is depressingly true.

Have you saved any from that security work you've been doing for the last 6 months? If not, go for the bank loan. But if there's enuff there that you only need a little more, just work you're ass off and boycott college. Sure it's only useless "facts" you'll be missin' anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Saved me hole! Ive nothing after various NCTs and other outgoing expenses. The loan is looking like a mighty fine idea at this stage. And obviously a bit of work after the exams aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Working and loan is what I'll be doing.

• Advertisement

How much and how long is it going to take you to pay it back ? If you dont mind me asking

Grimes wrote:
    How much and how long is it going to take you to pay it back ? If you dont mind me asking

Last year I took one out, 1000e over a year. It's 80something a month. This year, maybe 2000e, but I should be coming into some money at the end of the year so can pay that one off easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I got one at the start of this year for 1500e, and i'm paying back 70e p/m over 2 years. That works out at about 6.5%, got it with AIB

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm paying back 3.5k over 1 year, so €300 a month! I took my loan with the credit union though, so I'm really getting shafted on interest. I really should have shopped around for my fees loan.

I'm paying back 3.5k over 1 year, so €300 a month! I took my loan with the credit union though, so I'm really getting shafted on interest. I really should have shopped around for my fees loan.
    Yikes, fair play. I could NEVER fund that sort of repayment.

• Advertisement

I earned 15k last year from my job in a shop but I still have 2 loans cos I spent it all.
    Bad with money? ME?

Pythia wrote:
    I earned 15k last year from my job in a shop but I still have 2 loans cos I spent it all.
    Bad with money? ME?
    15k? What were you doing? Brain surgery on the side or something? Only joking, in fairness though, that's some good spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Pythia wrote:
    I earned 15k last year from my job in a shop
    :eek:

Anyway *looks at his bank statement with a smile on face* :) I could never take out a loan. Probably the fact of the pressure of having to meet repayments turns me off completely. Yeah I'll admit I'm very careful with my cash but honestly there's nothing like have no debts whatsoever I can assure you it gives you so much more satisfaction when you spend! If your going on holiday (Thailand, f**k wow!) then a loan would be a good idea but you have to work too or you'd get bored off you hole during the summer. *prays that his summer job doesn't fall through* :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I got a student loan from AIB. 3k paid back over 3 years. Works out at around €90 a month, which isn't too bad.

My holiday is a little over the 2k mark and the extra grand was just to have (a little mad money if you will). Hopefully I won't have gone through it all as I plan on moving out as soon as I get working so it'll come in handy towards the deposit. :D

I'd go for the loan if I was you. Shop around and you'll get some good rates. The banks are usually dying to give students money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

:eek:

Anyway *looks at his bank statement with a smile on face* :) I could never take out a loan. Probably the fact of the pressure of having to meet repayments turns me off completely. Yeah I'll admit I'm very careful with my cash but honestly there's nothing like have no debts whatsoever I can assure you it gives you so much more satisfaction when you spend! If your going on holiday (Thailand, f**k wow!) then a loan would be a good idea but you have to work too or you'd get bored off you hole during the summer. *prays that his summer job doesn't fall through* :confused:

I'm the same really, I'm too afraid to take out a loan...anyway its not like I need it for anything:( Luckily I'm very good with my money and I'm a great saver! I've two jobs ones cash in hand and thats spent on drink and nice things, the other wages are paid into the bank and I only withdraw when I really need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I wouldn't trust myself with a loan, I'm broke enough all year round.
    I just booked a short trip to Prague and 'Dam for August that I'm going to pay for out of money I earn over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Congrats G, its boards thread of the day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I wouldn't trust myself with a loan, I'm broke enough all year round.
    I just booked a short trip to Prague and 'Dam for August that I'm going to pay for out of money I earn over the summer.

Good thing about Prague is that you won't need too much money. Try to avaoid the "newer" part of the city though.Its like every generic European city. The older area is beautiful and much cheaper for food and drink. :)

Fantastic place. Never been to Amsterdam but my sister goes around twice a year and she loves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

whats the crack with you people taking out loans....for holidays!!!
    work why dont you? taking out a bank loan for a student summer holiday seems like madness to me...

Cant believe I made thread of the day. This is a very proud moment for me.

Settled on working non stop as soon as the exams are over and making at least 1000 in a month . Then taking out a loan for the flights which cost 900.
    Thanks for everyones advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Yo Grimes, where did you find the €900 flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

besty wrote:
    . I have one with Ulster Bank for €3k, no interest, paid at €100 per month. Its managable if you set it up right.

What's the story here? No interest? Any catch?

breadmoney, The USIT website is where i went

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I've been working the last year and a half and have probably earned about 15k too, and I have a grand total of €700 at the moment. I have to pay for my flights to Canada this week, so it's bye bye to that! and I only have 3 weeks of work left because I'm quitting before the exams...

Ugh. A loan is looking like it'll be quite necessary. I'm going to try get one from the bank of my parents first though :D I dont think I could cope with being in debt to a bank, but my parents I could deal with. And I'd pay them back, I swear!

What's the story here? No interest? Any catch?
    No catch breadmonkey. I literally went in and asked about for the procedure on getting a student loan and they took it from there. They actually even made a mistake on my top up loan in the contract. I should be repaying €3000 but they put down 24 repayments of €100. Sweet as you like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Grimes wrote:
    Cant believe I made thread of the day. This is a very proud moment for me.
    Giving weight to the axiom that if you throw enough mud against a wall, some of it is bound to stick. Congrats, Grimey-a-river.

How am I gonna scrape cash this summer?
    The same way I do every summer pinky...
    By leeching from my parents. Faultless plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Grimes wrote:
    Obvioulsy everyone's thoughts have turned to what they are going to be doing for the summer and where they are going to go. I guess I have settled on Thiland but Im having problems trying to think of the wierd and wonderful ways to pay for it. Loans? Work like a trooper? Or both? Any suggestion or previous experience .

Rob a bank of course! Get rid of the marked notes amonst your peers, just tell them you don't like .........the energies.....coming from your €50's and would excahnge them for €40. Works like a treat.

Either that or undertake a confidence scam. Pm me for details.

Advertisement