Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

While Ireland lags behind...

• 09-04-2006 1:49pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

the UK are set to get free broadband:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4893194.stm
    Mobile phone retailer Carphone Warehouse is expected to announce the launch of a free broadband service later this week.
    The company looks poised to provide free access for customers who sign up for their Talk Talk landline service.

I wonder if they'll extend the offer to their Irish operation... oh wait... they only offer dial up in Ireland :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I believe this is "free" the same way line rental is "free" with Smart Telecom. You still have to pay for a service from them before you can avail. Still, nice gimmick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

BSkyB is also predicted to offer a number of low cost deals, and it and Carphone Warehouse's move into the market is expected to start a price war.

The UK have COMPETITION and a CAPABLE regulator.....look at what we have :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

damien.m wrote:
    I believe this is "free" the same way line rental is "free" with Smart Telecom. You still have to pay for a service from them before you can avail. Still, nice gimmick.

Well yeah; but considering that at present (say with BT) you're paying for line rental, phone and broadband I'd be happy to drop one of those charges (and for some the most expensive)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Sky will offer the slowest possible broadband for free when you subscribe to the highest package.

Skyuser wrote:
    Sky will offer the slowest possible broadband for free when you subscribe to the highest package.

Yeah, I doubt it will be a great package but considering bad packages come at premium rates here it's a nice start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

flogen wrote:
    Well yeah; but considering that at present (say with BT) you're paying for line rental, phone and broadband I'd be happy to drop one of those charges (and for some the most expensive)

This offer is just some accounting trickery. For example you can actually get broadband for a tenner off BT Ireland if you are a business customer or if you are consumer and sign up to their combo package. It's the same as the "free" flights from Ryanair. You just pay landing fees, baggage fees etc. Not actually free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are lots of "free" things to do with Internet.

http://www.voipdiscount.com

But there are catches, Gotchas and hidden costs. Indeed something may be "free" in the "store" to get you in and spend.

IMO the Premium Sky packs are WAY overpriced and free Broadband (with Sky Premium Sub) would still leave me paying more than I do now. I have a lot of satellite TV. But subscribe to mimimum and often not at all, and only on one receiver out of 4 Digital and one Analogue Satellite systems.

watty wrote:
    There are lots of "free" things to do with Internet.

http://www.voipdiscount.com

But there are catches, Gotchas and hidden costs. Indeed something may be "free" in the "store" to get you in and spend.

IMO the Premium Sky packs are WAY overpriced and free Broadband (with Sky Premium Sub) would still leave me paying more than I do now. I have a lot of satellite TV. But subscribe to mimimum and often not at all, and only on one receiver out of 4 Digital and one Analogue Satellite systems.

Well no-one would expect a company to give anything away completely free... I'd be more interested in the Carphone Warehouse package than the Sky one because the former isn't going to involve a package nearly as expensive as Sky Digital to get... it'll probably be a very basic BB connection when you sign up to some phone package of theirs...

Even if it was 256k, imagine how long it will be until BT, Eircom etc. even consider giving that away with their phoneline connections.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/11/carphone_broadband/
    To take up the offer punters must subscribe to Carphone's TalkTalk fixed line phone service. For £9.99 a month, punters get unlimited local and national landline calls, unlimited international landline calls to 28 countries and up to 8 meg broadband access.

In addition to the monthly fee, customers are also faced with paying a monthly line rental charge of £11.00. The total cost of line rental, calls and broadband is just £20.99 a month.

So for around €30 a month customers get unlimited local and national calls, unlimited calls to 28 countries (all probably with a 59 minute time limit, like UTV), line rental and up to 8meg connection (40gig cap on 18 month contract).

Sign me up!

Advertisement