Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interviews with Analog

• 09-04-2006 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had an interview with Analog Devices??? What were they asked??

Paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Dr. Bill wrote:
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had an interview with Analog Devices??? What were they asked??

Paddy

These probably cover design/ design eval/ apps interviews:

Op amps op amps op amps! Be able to work out from first principles inverting, non inverting, summing, integrating, differentiating.

ADCs/DACs - know the basics of "ladder" D-to-A, and "flash" ADC converters. (Yes, more op amps!)

Internals of op amps - have you covered/designed a three stage cmos op-amp?

RC circuits - nothing much here - they will draw a single R, single C, low pass or high pass and ask you what it is and explain.

Know your final year project inside out.

It's all an interview when you are in the building - people taking you on tours etc are all evaluating you.

You LOVE rugby - right?

Dobre szczęście, comrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

^^^ what he said. i had an interview with them last week and most of the above topics came up

Also could ask CMOS stuff - equations, draw IV characteristic maybe.

They are VERY inclined to pick people who've done co-op with them over almost anyone else. And they can take ages to get back to people, but they do deal with an awful lot of applicants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Just brush up on your op-amps and you'll be fine - unless the interview has changed since I did it. And depending on what dept you are looking at, talk about rugby/soccer/gaelic/any other hobby - they will not hire anyone who won't work well in a group... and they all like sports.

Good company - loved the place!! Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Yeah did an the second round interview there a week or two ago. This may sound strange but for people who LIKE/LOVE sports (lets just say) there aren't many athletes among them. It looks like a nice place to work though.

It looks like a nice place to work though.
    definitely. really hope i get a job there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

This may sound strange but for people who LIKE/LOVE sports (lets just say) there aren't many athletes among them.
    Lot of good footballers there - used to play 4 nights a week with different groups... Most prefer to talk rather than play though!

Good spot though. Which dept you looking at? Do you know yet if its a grad interview? They generally pick the best of the bunch and each dept will try and snap them up accordingly. (You should have a good shout if you've done your homework and got a bit of luck as they were not happy with the general standards this year... either that or people are panicing more in interviews for the decent jobs.)

[light-hearted advice]
    Sports is the default topic of conversation for all electronic engineering break times. An encyclopedic knowledge of GAA/premiership/rugby is a great way to avoid awkward silence or talk of weather at the table :) If you get the job, DO NOT talk shop at the table! ;)

Talk about politics is dodgy, and unfortunately talking about "that lasher" down in admin will probably get you in trouble if you're overheard. Don't worry, their indoctrination videos will soon knock that out of you!
    [\light-hearted advice]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭les-paul

I have been to the last round of interviews, I heard they were interviewing 45 people for 30 positions, it shouldn't be too hard getting the job I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 binaryboy

Anyone know when the results are out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

I had my interview there back on the 10th april, and i was told I should hear by the end of next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Dr. Bill

I say there were far more than 45 going for the jobs. There seemed to be way more. There was at least 9 the day I was there.

decdoc wrote:
    I had my interview there back on the 10th april, and i was told I should hear by the end of next week.

yeah, thats what they told me aswell. there was about four there when i was being interviewed

I was interviewed by the beginning of month with a class mate and we both were offered positions a week ago. Can anybody comment anything else on the number of positions & people to be interviewed?

What positions were you offered?? I haven't heard back since.

I was offered a position as a designer, and my mate as a testing engineer.

Don't think the Doc here got a job in Analog!!!!! Ah well.

• Advertisement

The hardest thing for people to deal with is that they can hire some right apes. I know, I've dealt with some of the results of the interview process! Those who have done work placement with them are at a distinct advantage. But even then they still hire someone who is very good at book learning but doesn't actually "get" electronics.

Accept what you can't change, deal with it, move on. What course did you do, where? Any other paths you think you might be interested in?

To be honest, unless you are really into it, I'd say try to choose another industry rather than IC side of electronics. One where a good degree will stand to you. Some people from my class (electrical and electronic engineering) went to ESBI (semi-state, ride that gravy train baby), consultancy firms eg Accenture (seriously, has any consultancy firm ever improved anything?), banks in London etc. Making a cr@p load more money than us suckers who did electronics because that's what interested us! Project management companies are also a good long term bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

Dr. Bill wrote:
    Don't think the Doc here got a job in Analog!!!!! Ah well.

I was just onto the people in HR and they haven't sent out the offers yet, and won't until sometime next week. They said interviews went on for a week longer than they expected and the delays are due to that. Anyway there's still hope for us yet :)

:) *fingers still crossed*

:) We'll all meet in Limerick if we get started there for pints

well i didnt get it, oh well

How did you find out?? Did the send you a letter, email or ring?? Anyone offered a job here??

Any updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GeekWizard

Looks like ADI ppl. are still taking interviews. I had my initial telephonic one on 21st April, much later than most of you guys' 'real' interview.

No word yet though.

Dr. Bill wrote:
    How did you find out?? Did the send you a letter, email or ring??

a letter

• Advertisement

I didn't get it either ... Got a letter last week.

Strange thing happened though. I've been called back for an interview again??? Any else get this call back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

they can go and f*** themselves.......!
    and shove that 28grand where the sun doesnt shine as well........:p

Your bitter!!!!!

Dr. Bill wrote:
    I didn't get it either ... Got a letter last week.

Strange thing happened though. I've been called back for an interview again??? Any else get this call back.

I've heard of this happening before, a guy that got really psyched out of it in his first interview (not saying you did!)was given another one because he'd been on co-op there. He got a job too, so keep the fingers crossed Dr. Bill.

I think I'm over Qualified .... hince the title "Dr"!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Last year about eight of us from UCD went for interviews with them, including the girl who came first in the class every year. Not one of us were good enough for them though...was kinda annoying, bit of a waste of time like.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Yeah I understand that - I just thought it was odd that not one of us were at that standard...not even the girl who came first in the class every year like :confused:

Advertisement