Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bupa Race

Options
  • 09-04-2006 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Results:

Women

1. Meselech Melkamu (Ethiopia)
    2. Fernando Ribeiro (Portugal)
    (Hungary)
    4. Amy Rudolph (USA)

Men:

1. Craig Mottram (Australia)
    2. Mark Kenneally (Ireland)
    3. Mark Carroll (Ireland)
    4. Sergiy Lebid (Ukraine)

Great runs by both Kenneally and Carroll

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I was the park yesterday and took some photos of the race. In the interests of boards members who may have participated in the run I will post some photos here. If anyone has an objection please let me know.

_MG_5072.jpg

_MG_5080.jpg

_MG_5113.jpg

_MG_5110.jpg

_MG_5141.jpg

_MG_5154.jpg

_MG_5144.jpg

_MG_5165.jpg

_MG_5167.jpg

_MG_5169.jpg

_MG_5171.jpg

_MG_5174.jpg

_MG_5184.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I saw RTE's coverage. Did anyone see loads of people cut the corner at Ordnance Survey Road and Furze Road. Tons of them!

And for 3 years running (excuse the pun) I saw myself in RTE's coverage! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

daymobrew wrote:
    I saw RTE's coverage. Did anyone see loads of people cut the corner at Ordnance Survey Road and Furze Road

Yep. Wouldn't it be hilarious if like a thousand were DQ'ed?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

nice one joolsver, thats me 2315 in the Raheny singlet, im pulling a weird face. thanks for the photo. Ran around in 38.03, not great, thought I had about 1 minute more in me. However last year was 41.10 and 2004 was 52.40(jeez!!!!) Is actually a good day. I think it is actually worth the €27 entry fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I came in 43.14, first race in about 5 years. Kind of happy with that as I didn't do any training and started way down the field. Would love to be able to get that sub 35mins

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jumbo

Slow coach wrote:
    Yep. Wouldn't it be hilarious if like a thousand were DQ'ed?:D

I think that might have happened to me. My race-time on the site comes up as 'nf' (no finish?). I cut that corner :-( so was everyone else, and I was looking for some indication, sign or roaring official to say I couldnt.

Did anybody see that guy collapsed around the 7k mark on the left hand side? I was running along looking for an official or somebody to tell about it but I didnt see a single race-official or steward before I saw the ambulance about 2k later!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

DaveH, that's some serious improvements on your times! Well done. I'd love to be able to increase my pace like that. Any tips?

Based on my training I set myself a target time of 44 minutes and even broke the run down to a time for each kilometer so I would know if I was on schedule or not as I progressed. I was about a 30 seconds behind schedule after 9kms but couldn't push myself any harder for the last km. This wasn't a fitness problem, I felt tired but not exhausted, but mentally I just couldn't push myself that extra bit to make up lost time. Any body know of any 'mind training' techniques? I know I can run harder but was too lazy to push myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

jumbo wrote:
    ...I was looking for some indication, sign...

Perhaps the part where it says (probably on the entry form) it's a road race.
    :eek:

I have put more photos I took on Sunday on this webpage
    http://www.deejayem.com/bupa%202/
    Please let me know if it works (or doesn't).

• Advertisement

Clum wrote:
    Based on my training I set myself a target time of 44 minutes and even broke the run down to a time for each kilometer so I would know if I was on schedule or not as I progressed. I was about a 30 seconds behind schedule after 9kms but couldn't push myself any harder for the last km. This wasn't a fitness problem, I felt tired but not exhausted, but mentally I just couldn't push myself that extra bit to make up lost time. Any body know of any 'mind training' techniques? I know I can run harder but was too lazy to push myself.
    I think you have the building blocks already - you broke the run down into 1km bits.
    I try to keep up with or get ahead of someone near me. If I pass them I look for the next person to pass. Little by little.
    As for the final bit, I picked it up at the last corner. I got a good sprint going for 200-300 metres but burned out for the last 200. In those cases I homed in on passing a few people and that the pain would be relatively short as I was close to the end.

One book I read recently said that the best way to overcome these difficulties was to be familar with them i.e. push yourself during training and get through it. Then when you encounter it during the race you'll know that you can get through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

To tell the truth Clum, I think the best thing that happened to me was joining Raheny. Ive been a member pretty much from the day I was born, but I only really joined the running club in September 2004. I was actually injured for a few years with a back injury. Ive only really being able to run at a decent consistancy since early '04. I recommend everyone to join a running club, if they want to be serious. Also running with one of the top athletic clubs in Ireland is a major advantage. My advice would be to run hard, espically in training. I only noticing an improvement in October '05 when I ran Rathfarnham in 17.55. My previous 5K Pb was 20.04, from December 04.

My dad has being a big help and I've listened to him. Also I've being pushing my coach to up my milage, but he's being holding back since September, I've really understand why in the last week or 2.

I went to the Bupa middle distance sminar with Nic Bideau, Sonia, Craig Mottram, Mark Carrol on Saturday. Nic Bideau was most impressive. He mad the best point. He was asked about how important flexabilty is. and his reply was "you do strecthing so you dont get injuried that is all!! To be a runner the most important thing is to run, to run and run. Run hard in training and find the right hard race's."

DaveH wrote:
    nice one joolsver, thats me 2315 in the Raheny singlet, im pulling a weird face. thanks for the photo.
    The 'official' photos are now online to buy.
    If you select Photo Certificate it has a pic of you (#2315) on the left, regardless of your bib photo!!

Advertisement