Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Out - Contracts

Options
  • 09-04-2006 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Hi

Working for a multinational for a number of years, just starting to do a little bit extra on the side. Developing my own site at the mo and have a few projects in the pipeline. Small things with informal agreements.

What I dont kknow yet is what to put in a contract, or what format should it take.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or sample contracts.

Also if i have a standard contract what makes it legally binding. Is the the signature of both partners enough so I have something in writing or is the involvement of a solicitor required - just to make it binding, I'm not thinking about resolving disputes?

Any advice appreciated...
    JB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

This is a good starting point. I use a modified version of it.
    http://www.aiga.org/resources/Content/1/4/6/documents/AIGA_contract.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

mighty... thanks a lot
    this is a perfect starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

I don't bother with contracts.

With my large clients any contract has to go thru their legal departments, which is a nightmare.

For my small clients they would just tell me to F off if they where not happy with the work.

I just go on the good old handshake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Unfortunately I have had a few instances of a person crossing their other fingers behind their back while shaking my hand. Lack of a contract lost me over €12,000 on one occasion.
    A contract has been invaluable a few times. Not just to get money but as a simple reminder to a client of something they had genuinely forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

Work without a contract at your own peril! I've also lost money and had unhappy endings due to handshake agreements. It's important to have on paper what you have agreed to, under what terms, etc. People forget what they asked for and what they agreed to pay for. There's no reason why any company should be afraid of or have problems with one. A good contract will protect the client and the contractor.
    Also if i have a standard contract what makes it legally binding. Is the the signature of both partners enough so I have something in writing or is the involvement of a solicitor required - just to make it binding, I'm not thinking about resolving disputes?

Two copies, both signed by both contractor and client, each page initialed by both. You keep one copy and your client keeps the other. No need for witnesses or anything. If you want to make sure it will hold in court, you will need a solicitor to review it. However, a contract's primary value (in my opinion and to a small-time contractor), is simply as a record of agreement between the parties and for use between the parties.

• Advertisement
Advertisement