Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney has a £700,000 gambling debt

• 09-04-2006 6:23pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Rooney has a £700,000 gambling debt

I think he is great player but if this is true it seems he is just one step closer to becoming George Best or Gazza

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ferguson just rubished it on the post-match interview, seems to have a bit of weight to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No matter how much he makes that is an awful lot of money. He better watch himself cause things like that can easily get out of control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He makes 80 grand a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yeah, he seemed to be really shaken up today, awful performance....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

don't care, so long as he keeps playing football the way he has done since he came to utd.

700,000 is only a couple of months wages. with 15 years or so left in him, at a couple of million a year at least, he shouldnt have many problems. especially at utd with fergie and the likes of giggs, scholes etc around him who've all been there, got the t-shirt and can pass on experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Story originated from the NOTW, so who know what truth there is to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Aquos76 wrote:

Yeah true that but once he plays like he did i dont really care. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Aquos76 wrote:

Didnt know that.

Didnt they carry a story before the last world cup or Euorpean finals saying Owen had a gambling problem as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

load of rubbish ferguson said it after the match

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Maybe he had a bet on the match today:p ?

Seriously though, I thought originally that he was a bit of a timebomb but he has managed to channel whatever rage he has into great performances for club and country so this is suprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Apparently he has £100,000 on Mikel being a United player by September, so this would clear all debts. Especially since FIFA Dispute Resolution Committee have ordered the other two Nigerians that ****tu was holding hostage (sorry I mean representing) back to Lyn Oslo to complete their contract. They fought on the same grounds that ****tu did i.e. the contracts signed weren't false, they were legal in FIFAs eyes and that Lyn broke no contracts.

So not looking good for Chelsea.

Mind you they probably will have signed Mascherano, Diarra, and the other best 4 midfielders in the World cup. With Jose / Roman or Kenyon saying they never eanted to sign him in the first place. So that would leave Mikel open to play for us then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Maybe he had a bet on the match today:p ?

Seriously though, I thought originally that he was a bit of a timebomb but he has managed to channel whatever rage he has into great performances for club and country so this is suprising.

Dont believe everything you see on Sky/MOTD or read in NOTW. A lot of the **** he's gotten has been because he's a United player, and possible one of the best in a generation. Throw a bit of snobbery in because of his poor background and hey presto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I'd bet its been blown way out of proportion. Either it didn't happen, or they added and extra 0 to the figure, or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lets hope he doesn't owe it to the Russian Mafia ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Anyone notice the ad on the page for william hill and BET 365 next to the story. Silly i know but had to laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

smemon wrote:
    with 15 years or so left in him, at a couple of million a year at least,
    Hopefully nobody breaks his legs :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

p.pete wrote:
    Hopefully nobody breaks his legs :o
    I would imagine they are well insured.

Even if the story were true (which I doubt) is it not his own business what he spends his money on ? He didn't look like a player that had any personal problems yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Was it not the Sunday Mirror that broke this story?? I don't think the level of debt is an issue for Fergie or Sven tbh. It's the potential for distraction that could be an issue for him. Also it shows a pattern of behaviour, which would not go down well with Fergie.

I had to laugh at Fergie yesterday tbh, he said that ""It is just nonsense but these things will happen to the boy throughout his life," said Ferguson.

"We have had this with George Best, we had it with Paul Gascoigne and we had it with David Beckham.

"We know Wayne Rooney. It is rubbish and we shall dismiss it the best we can," he added."

Yea Alex, George and Gazza where gamblers :rolleyes:.

Also the guy Rooney is supposed to be in debt too, it appears that he is a business associate of Michael Owen's. If that is the case, and these reports are true, in theory Rooney owes Michael Owen's mate £700,000. There are reports that these bets where placed on credit, and that when it came to settling time, Wayne would not stump up. This story may run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

kearnsr wrote:

Didnt they carry a story before the last world cup or Euorpean finals saying Owen had a gambling problem as well

Difference with the Owen stroy is that they had copies of the cheques he'd paid to Dyer to clear his debt and credit card statements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Hobart: I think Ferguson was referring to press attention rather than gambling problems, hence his mention of David Beckham along with Best and Gazza, Beckham seemingly having a fairly sedate life (apart from Loos.. :))

• Advertisement
Advertisement