Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The GAA Phrasebook

Options
  • 09-04-2006 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

The GAA Phrasebook

HOLLY……………………………...……e.g. “I gave it holly” ----I put a fair bit of effort into it.

BOLLIX………….………………….…..Pat Spillane or any Clare players or supporters

MIGHTY…………………………….…..Very good !

HAMES……………………………...…..A right ****e –e.g. “ He made a hames of that chance”

TIMBER…………….……………….….Intimidation of an opponent in hurling-e.g. “Show him some timber”

LAMP…………………………………...A good thump—e.g. “I swung for the sliotar, missed by three feet and lamped the full back”

A CROWD……….…………………...A gathering of people who watch a match and hope for some random acts of violence - e.g. Clare supporters

SCHELP…………………….………….To remove living tissue in the absence of surgical procedures – e.g. “That Bollix from Clare took a schelp outta me leg”

HATCHET MAN…………………..….Mountainy type, uses hunter/gatherer instincts

BULLIN’………………………….…….Angry – e.g. “The centre – half was bullin’ after I lamped him”

BULL THICK………………………....Very angry – e.g. “The centre – half was bull thick after I lamped him again”

JOULT……………….…………… …..A push – e.g. “I gave him a joult and he has to wear a neck brace for two weeks”.

THE COMM-A-TEE………………….Local GAA bull****ters in general

BUSHTED……………………………..An undefined soreness – e.g. “Jayz me arm is bushted”

THE BOMBER…….………………….Popular name for a fat, hairy GAA player

HANG SAGWIDGE.………………..Consumed with “tay” by the Tipp supporters on the sides of the roads after matches in Croker or Thurles, usually contains half a pound of butter.

RAKE………………………………......A great amount of anything, usually pints of Guinness the night before an important match

INDANAMAJAYSUS…………….....(In-da-nama-Jaysus!!) -- What was that for referee ???

YA BOLLIX YA……………………....Corner back’s formal recognition of a score by his opponent.

LEH-IT-IN-TA-****-WUD-YA…. Full forwards appeal to a midfielder for a more timely delivery of the pass

MULLOCKER………………………..…Untidy or awkward player released for matches

BUSHT THE BOLLIX………………..Instructions from the sideline to tackle your man

ROW………………………………..……Disagreement involving four or more players

MASSIVE ROW ………………….…. Disagreement involving both teams, including goalies, substitutes and supporters jumping fences

ALL-HELL-BROKE-LOOSE ……….A massive row that continues out in the parking area or dressing room areas,usually resolved by the Gardai

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

I think that that's the third time I've seen this on boards, although it has been a while. Still funny-ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I think that that's the third time I've seen this on boards, although it has been a while. Still funny-ish
    It has been a good while and I'm glad to see it back again. :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i think you're forgetting
    "watch your house!"

Advertisement