Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

87 kbs upload on 384 kb upload

• 09-04-2006 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭

Today while hosting my bf2 server i noticed my speed in upload was at a steady 87kbs :D and it stayed that way for 5 mins straight although everyone had 2000 ping :) but still i cant believe 87kbs on 384kb connection
    This is iol btw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I presume you mean 87 kilobytes per minute? (696 kbps). That figure wouldn't include any extra information sent alongside that, like TCP/IP headers and all that stuff. So if you meant kilobytes, you are getting roughly twice your normal upload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

I do mean 87kbs and for any other iol 3mb users...
    MAKE A BF2 DEDICATED SERVER
    It will guarnantee to test your upload to the limit
    I never knew my line could even handle 87kb upload :O
    Though im still getting just 150kb download :(
    Im still happy though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

123 wrote:
    I do mean 87kbs and for any other iol 3mb users...
    MAKE A BF2 DEDICATED SERVER
    It will guarnantee to test your upload to the limit
    I never knew my line could even handle 87kb upload :O
    Though im still getting just 150kb download :(
    Im still happy though :)

What?

150Kb download.....I hope you mean 150KBytes...the big B makes a world of difference!

87KBytes/s is very poor....you should certainly be getting 3 times that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

I do mean kilo BYTES and how the hell would i get three times 87 KB/S not Kb
    on a 384Kb upload i thought 30 was the maximum anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

123 - you really need to sort your b's from your B's, otherwise it's just BS. :) 696 kbps is not possible unless they temporarily/mistakenly upgraded you.

A much easier way to test your upload is to ftp some large file to your ISP's ftp server - typically, the web space they've allocated for you. 30 KB/s is definitely not the max for me anyway - I'm on BT 3M/384K and I get 38-42 KB/s upload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

zuma wrote:
    87KBytes/s is very poor....you should certainly be getting 3 times that.
    That figure is actually very good for 384kbps/48KBps upload. In real terms, that would be a doubling of upload speed.

@OP... You know what, register on irishisptest.com and tell us the exact results you get there.

Advertisement