Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecture Attendence

Options
  • 09-04-2006 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Last week, I went to every single one of my lectures and tutorials. I think this was the first time this year (and probably ever) that I've managed to do this.
    I have maybe 11 hours a week so shouldn't be too hard really, but for some reason (might be alcohol related) I never manage it.
    Am I just a big slacker, or have you managed this incredible feat also?

Have you gone to all your lectures in the week? 44 votes

Why yes of course, all the time
    0% 0 votes
    Most of the time
    25% 11 votes
    Eh, I've managed it once or twice
    25% 11 votes
    Never ever
    50% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Ah golden weeks, what an achievement! i'm so impressed pythia! i have around 11 or 12 hours a week, and regularly try make all of them, but it's rare when I do. It's the four 9o'clocks that kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Never! Was planning a golden semester too, which went by 4pm on Tuesday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Such a feat is called a "golden week"!

A week with no alcohol and all lectures (and tutorials of course!) is a "platinum week"!

And yes, it has been done! Depends how interested you are in your course (and how much you go out!) i guess! I always turn up for Corporate Finance Law and International Business Law if I can but tend to skip MER a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

in first year i missed three classes in the whole year. in second and third year maybe ten. in my masters, none. don't believe in missing classes really.

edit: and in first year i had nine o'clock lectures five days a week. thems were the days.

I haven't missed a lecture yet. Maybe that's because I'm a first year, and it's the excitement etc. of college. Or maybe, judging by my username, I'm that much of a nerd.

We'll see come 2nd year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

You've never ever missed a lecture? ever? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Never make nine o clock lectures. Only go to the lectures when you need to take down notes. Dont see the point in goin if they are given to you, you never listen and just go asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

My attendance is abysmal. Still, I feel that I go to the ones that count.

beanyb wrote:
    You've never ever missed a lecture? ever? :eek:

Yeah I'm one of those annoying guys that's never missed a day of school and never seems to get ill.

And yet I still have no idea what was going on midway through Computer Architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Hmmm, well i actually managed to make it to a whole 0 lectures last week. I made it in on time for one of them (it was at 2 in the afternoon), only to discover we didn't have a lecture, just a test instead.:eek: Ah well i got away with it, because i went to all of the tutorials and labs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've missed 3 lectures this year. One first semester, and two this semester. This year I've been pretty good about going to classes and doing the work, I'm slightly ashamed to say that money is a great motivator!

It was a totally different story last year though... About January of last year I decided that 11am was too early for lectures. Y'see, I liked getting up at around that time, and I live more than an hour from college. So 2nd semester last year I missed more lectures than I actually went to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I missed my entire second term of English lecturers and still passed, in fact did quite well, it can be achieved.

In subjects like English or Philosophy if youre a wide reader you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I've fallen into the habit of skipping most of my lectures on Wednesday. Midweek slump I guess. It's pretty bad considering I live a 10 minute walk from lectures :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I think I went to 2 lectures last week. Maybe 3. Out of... I don't even know... 8? 10? Fcuk knows.

I wish ppl wouldn't call the immaculate attendance weeks "golden weeks".
    That just makes me think of being pissed on for a full week (which, granted, would be a good metaphor for my experience in UCD).

Yes, I am disturbed. I'm amazed you hadn't realised this sooner.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i regularly have 'pissed on' weeks. i'm always in after a night out - i get a couple of hours kip and then head in to lectures and then home to sleep it off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I have not missed a lecture or tutorial all year.

in saying that I only have 2 lectures a week but I'm still proud of myself! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I'm proud of you too Zane from MTV2!

Don't miss *that* many, i guess, kinda, sometimes...

Don't miss *that* many, i guess, kinda, sometimes...

lie! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Shurrup YOU!

I've put many hours of sudoku in while in attendance of lectures & I am now going to bed as I have a 10 o clock tomorrow that i'm most definately going to go to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I miss at least one lecture a week which is pretty bad given that 3rd comm isn't exactly 9-5!

The fact that I don't feel guilty and still do ok doesn't help ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ive missed a fair bit. But saying that im in first year. Think i can pull somthing out of my ass (did it at xmass) . EIther that or Im Boned and not in a good way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thegaffer

how the hell do people go to all their lectures. I mean three of my lectures ive been to once this term and for some reason i'm not screwed for them at all. In fact the less i go to a certain class the better my results seem to be!!!

Lectures aren't essential but they are helpful. If you go to f**k all of them you'll be more likely to fail and thats a fact. Some people have different abilities and some need to have the course material rammed into their brains more than others. IMO lecture attendance is now more important than it previously was with this new modularisation system in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Last semester I missed a good few lectures and went to most of my tutorials, but this semester I'm going to most of my lectures and have been to like...3 tutorials altogether. I'm gonna go to them all until the summer exams, and library after lectures and in breaks on Monday, Wednesday and Friday!

...wonder how long that lasts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Missed about 3 lectures in first year and a few in second year... i don't recall missing any other ones. None so far this year anyway (masters). It's not that difficult when you only have a max of 8 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Pythia wrote:
    Last week, I went to every single one of my lectures and tutorials. I think this was the first time this year (and probably ever) that I've managed to do this.
    I have maybe 11 hours a week so shouldn't be too hard really, but for some reason (might be alcohol related) I never manage it.
    Am I just a big slacker, or have you managed this incredible feat also?

ha funny exact same situation! 11 hours a week and last week was the first time ever (in 3 years) i havent missed a thing....oh well that elusive golden week is finally mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Many a time was spent in 1st year on a Thursday morning in Legal Systems still hammered from the night before. Quite hard to cycle into college drunk and then try and take notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

First year Id say I attended 50-60% of lectures and first term this year 20%.
    This term its more like 80% because I have the ability to go to the same lecture for 3 subjects 6 times a week! Its fantastic, a 3 day week and I dont do mornings!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I've missed a fair few English lectures this year and not too many History lectures. Thankfully Larien is such a sweetheart that she always helps me out notes-wise. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

yes i attend all of mine, i have 20 hours a week, i'm 1st commerce.

i feel kinda guilty if i miss a lecture, but i have so many friends who go "i did well today, i went to 1 out of my 3 lectures today!"

Advertisement