Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Offering Free Banking from 27/05/06

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

woody wrote:
    A Step in the right direction not monumental but progress.

I am constantly getting high charges and the only reason I continue to stay with AIB is because their Online Banking is 100% compared to everyone else.

http://www.aib.ie/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=AIB_PersonalPortal/AIB_Guide/aib_d_guide&c=AIB_Guide&cid=1141322041423&channel=JC
    Ah, good news. I'm with you, I only stayed coz I liked their Online Banking system.

I notice there are terms attached, thuogh shouldn't be much of an issue:
    Personal Current Account customers# who hold an AIB Debit Card and are registered for AIB Phone & Internet Banking can qualify for free maintenance and transaction banking on that account by completing the following transactions on the account:

1. at least one purchase transaction using their AIB Debit Card in the fee quarter
    AND
    2. at least one debit transaction using AIB Phone & Internet Banking in the same fee quarter

I must get a Laser card sorted out before then.
    Thanks for the info.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Had other online accounts and its defo the fastest and handiest. Using the 24 hour service as well for transferring funds to people is supper quick and painless. Always use their 24hr telepone service for boards dealings - safest:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Oh I am so glad to hear that. They cost, roughly for me, about €100 per year on transaction fees. Same reasons as above for staying with them. Although due to tightening of purse strings lately, I was considering moving to PTSB.

This is great news! Now all they have to do is educate their staff a little, to be more friendly, polite and helpful. Although, internet banking has cut down bank time alot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dellas1979 wrote:
    Same reasons as above for staying with them
    same reasons as my learned friends for staying with them too.
    Now all they have to do is educate their staff a little, to be more friendly, polite and helpful.
    I find them fine in the west , I have no complaints about their branch staff or the 24 hour call centre gang in Naas at all .

In Fact I wish most call centres were as good as the 24hour gang in Naas . (22 hour actually :D as they close the site between 4am and 6am for backups and reports. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Is Laser an AIB debit card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I was about to switch aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

woody wrote:
    A Step in the right direction not monumental but progress.

I am constantly getting high charges and the only reason I continue to stay with AIB is because their Online Banking is 100% compared to everyone else.

http://www.aib.ie/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=AIB_PersonalPortal/AIB_Guide/aib_d_guide&c=AIB_Guide&cid=1141322041423&channel=JC
    I'm with NIB,free banking with no conditions. Their online service does everything AIB's does, it just doesn't look as fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

squibs wrote:
    Is Laser an AIB debit card?

It's not specific to AIB; it's a debit card that can be used like a credit card - i.e. shops can swipe them as they would a credit card, only the money is deducted from your current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

22 hour actually as they close the site between 4am and 6am for backups and reports.

It's 24 hour. They are still there as people still ring, plus they cover other phone lines that have to be manned.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I ordered a Maestro card today, I was told it replaces Laser, and is more versatile than Laser.

*shrug*

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

cant find the link to apply for a debit card on the AIB site, can anyone helps me out please and thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Aziraphale

Since when does AIB do debit cards? (Other than those things you can't use outside Ireland?)

Which brings me to a very important point:

Does any bank in this country do debit cards? I walk in and they all start trying to sell me credit cards: "Get into debt ...fast! Pay loads of govt stamp duty! Spend all your time trying to remember whether you've paid off this month's bill!"

Since when does AIB do debit cards? (Other than those things you can't use outside Ireland?)

For the last few months. They are offering a Maestro branded debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

For me personally I have found Aib to be good the only 2 problems I have is their branch staff are not very freindly to the working person if you go looking for someting during lunch time they say they cant do things for you as the person dealing with it was on lunch. So that is my main beef with them aslo the charging is getting to me this only only a token desture to offer free online banking.Ulster Bank, Nib and PTSB have free banking. But ulster bank is that only one offering it with to strings attached. So im moving to uslter bank at the end of april.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i'mreally happy with AIB and personally wouldnt risk losing good customer service for the sake of free banking (particularly when i just applied for my debit card this morning to get free banking)

but not entirely free mind you, my banking charges are about €90 a year so minus the €20 debit card stamp duty it means i save €70 odd (still better in my pocket than theirs)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Aziraphale wrote:

Which brings me to a very important point:

Does any bank in this country do debit cards?

Since early last year AIB replaced their laser/guarantee cards with maestro/laser/guarantee cards which meant that they could be used as debit cards outside of Ireland.

I used my Maestro successfully last summer in France (primarily hypermarkets buying plonk). It was only rejected once. However the few times I tried it in the UK it didn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Aziraphale

And can you use these Maestro things online?

Some sites accept Maestro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

They rang me tonight at around 7pm asking me if I was happy with the sevice and would I like a maestro card and did I want a loan for anything. Haha...eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They rang me too the other day, and I told her that despite being with them for 11 years now and very satisfied with their internet banking, I was considering moving on account (no pun intended :)) of the continuous stream of charges for this and that from my Current account.

That's when she mentioned their own new free banking offer. Glad to see it confirmed here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I'm a plonker - just spotted the big maestro logo on my atm/laser card. So do I automatically get free banking if I use the maestro and online banking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

thats great news, I've just left AIB/BNY so I was raging that I was losing my free banking!

Advertisement