Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pesto question

• 09-04-2006 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Can pesto be frozen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

By putting the very same question in Google, the results seem to imply yes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

job!!! now can make loads and freeze it (noone in my house likes it, freaks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Pesto can indeed be frozen - we make barlauch (wild garlic) pesto and "normal" basil pesto, and freeze both. No bother.

It can discolour...just so your warned...but the flavour is fine. We had to make one batch with sunflower oil (for when we're entertaining certain guests who are allergic to olive oil) and it came out virtually brown....but tasted fine.

I'm not a big fan of red (tomato) pesto, so I don't know if there's any problem there - I'd imagine the texture might be slightly effected, but thats about it.

As with all frozen foods, try and use it within 6 months. The fats (in the cheese, mostly) can start to effect the flavour after that.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Great. I don't like the red pesto at all. Handy to have some in freezer for emergencies. A lot of people hate pesto!

As Google was mentioned I had a look and the advice was to make sure there's a layer of olive oil on top before freezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I freeze basil pesto when I make it, but olive oil can go rancid after a while in the freezer do don't let your little pesto parcels disappear off for years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement