Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too far from the exchange for DSL :(

Options
  • 10-04-2006 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Well, my exchange (ballyjamesduff) got upgraded last week, unfortunatly I seem to be too far out to get a DSL connection. My address is in Virginia town but I'm just out of reach of that exchange too (and digiwebs wireless service there).

So I guess my question is, is that it?!! I though I read something here before about people replacing the phone sockets in their house and suddenly they passed the line test (or have I got that wrong?). I'm on eircom everytime but despite them charging for 2 months at a time the extra hours dont carry over into the next 29 euro charge, I got hit with a €255 net bill last week... not good... !!! A real flat rate dial up package is needed i think..

ok rant over (for now!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

As part of my college course we got a tour around an exchange. At one point we were asked who had slow internet (dial-up at that stage) and this eircom fella said he could do a test to see if there were any problems on the line. He typed the persons phone number in to an ancient black/white mainframe looking terminal and told them the connection outside their house was the problem. He said they could track down most line/connection problems this way. Basically, they make so much money anyways they couldn't be arsed doing this for their paying customers, otherwise they would have to fix everyones connection! It can be done, it just isnt. Now, this may not solve your problem but if you know someone who works for eircom who could do this test for you and get your line in to tip-top shape maybe you might pass the pre-qual.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Well, my exchange (ballyjamesduff) got upgraded last week, unfortunatly I seem to be too far out to get a DSL connection. My address is in Virginia town but I'm just out of reach of that exchange too (and digiwebs wireless service there).

So I guess my question is, is that it?!! I though I read something here before about people replacing the phone sockets in their house and suddenly they passed the line test (or have I got that wrong?). I'm on eircom everytime but despite them charging for 2 months at a time the extra hours dont carry over into the next 29 euro charge, I got hit with a €255 net bill last week... not good... !!! A real flat rate dial up package is needed i think..

ok rant over (for now!)

Welcome to Ireland Dial up Capital of the World

Advertisement