Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a good garage

Options
  • 10-04-2006 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

There is a whining noise coming from my rear right wheel, high pitched noise. Its not continuous but is very regular. Was told before it could be a wheel bearing, does this sound possible? I took a mechanic out in it on saturday to let him hear it but of course it made no noise at all, i think because the road was wet because i never hear it when its wet.
    Anyway, can someone recommend a good cheap garage who can look into this for me anywhere in dublin, preferably north side who wont rip me off.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Its either a wheel bearing or a stone trapped in your discs and calipers. ask that mechanic u showed it to to quote u for a new bearing. probably the bearing though depending on age.shouldnt b more than 200-300 ish. u need a hub puller as far as i know to get it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

lomb wrote:
    Its either a wheel bearing or a stone trapped in your discs and calipers. ask that mechanic u showed it to to quote u for a new bearing. probably the bearing though depending on age.shouldnt b more than 200-300 ish. u need a hub puller as far as i know to get it off.

j##us 200-300 , i was hoping for under 150....and I cant ask that mechanic because I in at home for the weekend that's where he was, if anyone knows of a dublin one that'd be great. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If it's a FWD car then a rear bearing replacement shouldn't be a v.expensive job and can be done by any garage. I'd estimate around 100-130 quid from an independent garage/mechanic including parts and labour.

I wouldn't be too sure if it is a bearing though. It's odd that it doesn't make the noise in wet conditions.

Does the noise increase when driving around a right or left hand bends at around 60 km/h or more.

Edit: be careful when diagnosing the location of the noise. Noises can be funny eg appearing to come from the back of the car when in fact they're coming from the front and vice versa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

BrianD3 wrote:
    If it's a FWD car then a rear bearing replacement shouldn't be a v.expensive job and can be done by any garage. I'd estimate around 100-130 quid from an independent garage/mechanic including parts and labour.

I wouldn't be too sure if it is a bearing though. It's odd that it doesn't make the noise in wet conditions.

Does the noise increase when driving around a right or left hand bends at around 60 km/h or more.

Edit: be careful when diagnosing the location of the noise. Noises can be funny eg appearing to come from the back of the car when in fact they're coming from the front and vice versa!

No, it doesn't increase when going around corners...it stops though for a few seconds if i apply the brakes/handbrake, im fairly sure its coming from rear as i can open the window and hear it clearly coming from outside

Advertisement