Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What colour to respray Audi A4?

Options
  • 10-04-2006 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

I have a 2001 Audi A4 and I'm looking to do a total respray on it. I'm sick of the silver.
    I was thinking of going with a platinum grey or maybe a simple metallic black or blue.
    What colour do you think they look nice in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

JackieChan wrote:
    I have a 2001 Audi A4 and I'm looking to do a total respray on it. I'm sick of the silver.
    I was thinking of going with a platinum grey or maybe a simple metallic black or blue.

Why not sell and buy a new car? alot of money to waste just becaue you are sick of the colour. I like the silver in the A4 but maybe try the ice blue, I just got my new passat in that colour and its lovely. Not many Irish cars with that colour either(Its a UK import)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

My father does car repairs/resprays so he'll do it for me.I'll just have to pay the trade price for the paint

Big Nelly wrote:
    Why not sell and buy a new car? alot of money to waste just becaue you are sick of the colour. I like the silver in the A4 but maybe try the ice blue, I just got my new passat in that colour and its lovely. Not many Irish cars with that colour either(Its a UK import)
    Nelly, Do you have a picture of it?

JackieChan wrote:
    My father does car repairs/resprays so he'll do it for me.I'll just have to pay the trade price for the paint

Ahh not so bad so, if it was a garage you would pay a small fortune, check out the ice blue colour for the Passat....nice or try the Met Dark Blue which looks nice on the A4

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=363095, looks silver but its not up close

Nice Blue: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=229563

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

JackieChan wrote:

Out of interest, have you gotten any quotes on a total respray? It sounds like a very expensive process.

Edit: oops, lots of responses during the time it took me to post!

• Advertisement

JackieChan wrote:
    Nelly, Do you have a picture of it?

Pic above, really not the best because it looks silver from those pics, nicer when you see it in the flesh so to speak, if in the Blanch area can meet up if you want a look

Nelly,
    She looks really good and with the 130 horses I'd say its a dream to drive.

JackieChan wrote:
    Nelly,
    She looks really good and with the 130 horses I'd say its a dream to drive.

Yeah traded in the 90Bhp model for it, you wouldn't believe the difference. Also getting better milage. Put on cruise control the other day and was getting 55miles to the gallon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

What sort of money will it cost to do this?

redman wrote:
    What sort of money will it cost to do this?

I was quoted about a grand before from a garage:eek:

• Advertisement

1K a complete respary in a different colour sounds very cheap.
    I don't have a full cost but I have a max budget of 500

JackieChan wrote:
    1K a complete respary in a different colour sounds very cheap.
    I don't have a full cost but I have a max budget of 500

Was a few years ago and it was a mates garage so maybe he was giving it to me on the cheap abit, cutting down labour costs I guess. Still easier to sell and buy a new car than pay 1k for a face lift

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Respraying a 2001 car a different colour will more than likely impact it's resale value. Anyone looking at it under the bonnet, door sils or in the boot where the original colour is still visible will think it was involved in an accident.

Bazz,
    I'll have to talk to the aul lad but I would think that he would take off bonnet and spray it seperately.Take off doors, remove trim and spray seperately.Remove trim in boot and spray in there(probably the most awkward).
    When I was younger I used to go and work with him so this is generally what he'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JackieChan wrote:
    Bazz,
    I'll have to talk to the aul lad but I would think that he would take off bonnet and spray it seperately.Take off doors, remove trim and spray seperately.Remove trim in boot and spray in there(probably the most awkward).
    When I was younger I used to go and work with him so this is generally what he'd do.

Fair enough but it seems like an awful lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

No matter what way you look at it, the car will be worth less afterwards. If you add the reduction in value of the car to the cost of doing the work you may find that it makes more sense to simply change the car. Alternatively, you could do the following:

1. Calculate how many minutes per day you actually spend looking at the car

2. Multiply this by the number of days you intend keeping the car

3. Divide the cost of the respray (cost + depreciation) by the number of minutes you'll look at the car.

You'll now have a cost per minute for enjoying your new colour.;)

Advertisement