Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

from car on braking

Options
  • 10-04-2006 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,
    When I brake I hear a strange grinding sound coming from the base of the car.
    Its only just before I stop - for example if I brake for 5 seconds its only as the car is about to fully stop that the sound kicks in.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Sounds like your brake pads are worn out. What car is it? Does it get worse with heavy braking? Does it ever not happen when you brake to a halt? Get it sorted or you will need discs too...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hi,
    When I brake I hear a strange grinding sound coming from the base of the car.
    Its only just before I stop - for example if I brake for 5 seconds its only as the car is about to fully stop that the sound kicks in.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Peter

Its your brake pads! when where they last changed and how much milage since then? regular servicing will stop this from happening

Oh yeah note, brake pads in car doing city driving wont last as long as a country driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Few years ago this happened in a punto I had. I'd brake and then there'd be a noise when the car was about to stop. I let it go for a couple of weeks before I brought the car to a garage.
    One disc was scored and so both had to be changed. It cost many multiples of the pads to repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭peterwilson

Thanks guys.

To answer questions.

Its a Peugeot 206, 1999. 45K on clock. Not sure if brake pads have been replaced.
    Doesn't get worse with heavy braking.
    It always happens.

How much in euros do you reckon Im looking at? :(
    Thanks!
    Peter

Thanks guys.

To answer questions.

Its a Peugeot 206, 1999. 45K on clock. Not sure if brake pads have been replaced.
    Doesn't get worse with heavy braking.
    It always happens.

How much in euros do you reckon Im looking at? :(
    Thanks!
    Peter

You service that car? when was last service because they should have checked the pads?

If no damage done to disks its very cheap and easy to fit the pads, decent garage should slip them on no probs for a few quid. Nothing massive. If you get a full service done in a garage they will replace them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I've seen a mechanic replace all 4 brake pads on my car and it took them about 45mins to do that job, so your looking at maybe €75 for labour roughly and brake pads are about €35 each i think ?

I'd say a very rough estimate would be in and around €200 to get all four replaced, although it varies widely with garage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I've noticed something like that with my own car, the brakes squeek a bit when braking. I only had them done about 3 weeks ago, the mechanic said that there was a build up of ****e on them and would replace. Somehow I dont think he replaced the brake pads as they are still kind of soft. Still cost me €80 in advance-pitstop. Must find that invoice.

pontovic wrote:
    I've seen a mechanic replace all 4 brake pads on my car and it took them about 45mins to do that job, so your looking at maybe €75 for labour roughly and brake pads are about €35 each i think ?

I'd say a very rough estimate would be in and around €200 to get all four replaced, although it varies widely with garage

35 each? never paid that much, althou I get all my parts myself and bring them to garage myself, the garage people usually put a percentage for getting the parts, I cut this out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

only rough figures. my car was still under warranty and i got it all done for free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

pontovic wrote:
    my car was still under warranty and i got it all done for free :)

That's unusual. Warranty normally doesn't cover wear&tear items such as brakepads, tyres, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hal1 wrote:
    I've noticed something like that with my own car, the brakes squeek a bit when braking. I only had them done about 3 weeks ago, the mechanic said that there was a build up of ****e on them and would replace. Somehow I dont think he replaced the brake pads as they are still kind of soft. Still cost me €80 in advance-pitstop. Must find that invoice.

It can take up to a month or so for pads to properly bed in, and the squeaking to go away, and you'll often see no difference whatsoever in braking performance when you replace the pads.....€80 sounds about right, 30 for parts, 50 for an hours labour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The rust that forms on the discs if the car has been idle for a couple of days can cause this noise for the first mile or two. It certainly is the case with mine but it the noise always ceases after a couple of applications of the brakes.

Advertisement